Question Do smaller HDD's make for faster OS?

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
I have the exact same(cloned) OS/partition on 2 different HDD's, one on a 160GB old Samsung HDD and the other is on a bigger Samsung 500GB drive. They're both the exact same Windows 7 system and I noticed right away that the one on the smaller HDD is quite faster than the one on the larger one.

So, are smaller HDD's in general best for a faster OS than larger ones?

USAFRet

Titan
Both HDD's are 7200rpm and I'm measuring their speed by the time they take to load up their identical Windows 7 systems/partitions, on the smaller 160GB HDD it takes 5-10 seconds less to completely load up.
Since there are presumably two completely discreet drives, are you doing this with only the one drive connected?
Reduce as many variables as possible.

"5-10 seconds", out of how much total time?

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
is the cache on one of them more than the other?

I don't know, is there a software that can tell me that?

Since there are presumably two completely discreet drives, are you doing this with only the one drive connected?
Reduce as many variables as possible.

"5-10 seconds", out of how much total time?

You mean taking out one at a time and measuring the load time on each one separately? If so, that's a good test for me to do.

5-10 seconds out of about 1m48s total load up time from the moment I pick the OS on the smaller HDD from the boot menu(EasyBCD). Add about 5-10 seconds for the larger 500GB drive.

Last edited: