[SOLVED] Do some gpus put out stronger signals than others?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I mystery issue that I have been working on is that my older R9-380 gpu with 2 gb ram (new ones have 8) appears to have no problem communicating over 25 foot cables. It doesn't even care what kind of cable. It's all good.

The RX 500 series (RX 580, and two RX 590s) I've been using appears to be very finicky.

--crashes on monitor at 25 feet with DVI-D with booster. Can't do Unigine superposition
--is more resilient with unboosted displayport connection to same monitor over 25 feet. Still crashes, but not during Unigine superposition or other bench marks. It does crash coming out of sleep mode, though. ALWAYS on the distant monitor (at 25 feet, on displayport), NEVER on the near monitor (about 5 feet, on HDMI)
--So distance is a factor but one gpu is immune to it and the other three are sensitive to it

--So what gives? Is there an intrinsic difference in signal output levels?

thanks
Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well, speaking from the point of view of barefoot empiricism, dual screen use, and using a monitor at 25 feet with displayport connection: don't ask an Asus RX 580 or a Radeon Nitro RX 590 (two were tested) to do that. But the 1660 TI can definitely do that. That's the way it looks from here as of this afternoon's installation of the 1660 TI. It's jumping hoops the RX 500s can't. --GN