Question Do some RAM brands disagree with each other?

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I had 2x4GB stick of Corsair left over from a Dell shell that I utilized for another build, confirmed working, and I decided to put it in my workplace workstation. The office desktop is a Optiplex 7010, my boss bought it around eight years ago, it came with 4GB Crucial, I added another stick of 4GB Hynix three years later. When I went to add the Corsair to bring it up to 16GB, it won't boot. I tried reseating the sticks, with the Corsair in 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4, same effect. If I take the Corsair out, and leave in the original sticks, it boots fine. If I take out the original sticks, and leave in the Corsair, it boots fine. But why would there be an issue?

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
As it turns out, it had nothing to do with that. I tried new RAM, all the same brand, had the same problem. So obviously there was a software problem, the OS was not recognizing the RAM. I googled the issue, saw to go to the advanced boot menu of msconfig, and unclick "maximum memory" which I did and upon reboot, the system recognized all the RAM. I am still unclear as to why Windows would even have that as an option, though.

egda23

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
As it turns out, it had nothing to do with that. I tried new RAM, all the same brand, had the same problem. So obviously there was a software problem, the OS was not recognizing the RAM. I googled the issue, saw to go to the advanced boot menu of msconfig, and unclick "maximum memory" which I did and upon reboot, the system recognized all the RAM. I am still unclear as to why Windows would even have that as an option, though.
The only reason I can think of, is if you are working in a programing environment it allows you to test the behavior of your program in machines with various amounts of RAM

Reactions: consptheory77

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS