[SOLVED] Do ssd improve hdd in performance and reading?

Apr 20, 2021
I had this 240g ssd where my os is installed and 500gb hdd where games are stored and I was figuring out whats the difference accordingly to their speed... When I try to open my files in hdd in an ssd installed os I noticed a faster load time and same goes when I try to open files in ssd or in Drive C: however when I test my hdd again as my os and tried opening files it became slow.. Can someone explainn???

Solution
I had this 240g ssd where my os is installed and 500gb hdd where games are stored and I was figuring out whats the difference accordingly to their speed... When I try to open my files in hdd in an ssd installed os I noticed a faster load time and same goes when I try to open files in ssd or in Drive C: however when I test my hdd again as my os and tried opening files it became slow.. Can someone explainn???
Guessing what your saying is if you boot from the ssd opening files on the hdd is fast.
If you boot from the hdd opening files on the hdd is slow.
This is because the OS is also using the hdd so it gets busy.

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
HDD speeds are lower than SSD, SDD speeds are lower than M.2, by how much I'm not sure, but there is a considerable amount of time.. I know that the emptier a HDD is the faster it gets, something that doesn't happen on SSD yet HDD speeds won't reach SSD speeds even if it's empty. That's all I know or remember, sorry I can't be of much help.

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
If I were you I'd use the SSD as OS and fast peace games like Warzone or Apex Legends and the HDD for pictures or videos or music, but not the other way around (HDD as OS)

Guessing what your saying is if you boot from the ssd opening files on the hdd is fast.
If you boot from the hdd opening files on the hdd is slow.
This is because the OS is also using the hdd so it gets busy.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
What lives on the SSD will operate at SSD speed.
What lives ont he HDD will operate ad HDD speed.

Games....the game launcher lives on the SSD (correct?), and the actual game files live on the HDD.
So, in your case, it is a bit of both.

Colif

Win 11 Master
older laptops used to have really small ssd and big hdd in them , the ssd was there as a cache drive, and to store the boot up files and other regularly used files. It made the hdd seem faster than it really was, and was a surprise to anyone who replaces hdd at a later time, as windows would then try to install on the ssd instead, and it doesn't work well.

that isn't an answer to your question but it shows that having 2 drives is always better than one, even if one of them is tiny. ssd are big enough now you almost don't need the hdd anymore... maybe next time I can convince myself of that. Having games and OS apart also helps

TRENDING THREADS