Do SSD still require you leave free space?

MrInferno

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Just a quick question, I was reading some old articles from 2011 that says you need to leave free space on an SSD or it will become slow. I have a 120GB ADATA ssd, windows shows 111GB as the actual size. Anyhow, how much of that do I have to leave free? Do SSDs today even require free space?

Solution
SSD's will still experience a slow down when they get near to being full, but it isn't as dramatic as it is for an HDD. They have built in free space (overprovisioning) to ensure they will never get completely full. Until they get over 75% full, you probably won't notice any difference.
SSD's will still experience a slow down when they get near to being full, but it isn't as dramatic as it is for an HDD. They have built in free space (overprovisioning) to ensure they will never get completely full. Until they get over 75% full, you probably won't notice any difference.

Solution

MrInferno

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
I'm about at 21GB free on the SSD, I probably should have gone for a bigger one. That's what I get for buying on a tight budget, should have waited so I could have doubled the size of my drive.

USAFRet

Titan

Buying recently, yes. You should have gone with a 250GB or larger.

Currently, the price diff for a 120GB Samsung and a $250GB Samsung is ~$10.

I started with a 120GB SSD in 2012. ~$80
Swapped it out for a 250GB SSD last year. ~$90
Swapping that out for a 500GB in a day or two. ~$150.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

get another cheap 120GB and put them in Raid 0 ... you dont need to pay alot for 250GB now .

you will end up with faster drive too ...

and dont worry about Data loss much , backup important data to the harddisk , and SSD dont break fast like HDD , actually some SSD in high capacities are Raid 0 connected internally.

USAFRet

Titan

No, you won't get a 'faster drive'.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

It sounds like a good idea. Not so much in practice.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

yea but the IOPS increased , the Sequential increased as well.. This test is about starting times .. but you miss copying files and moving them around which also increases ..

at the end you gain some benefits ..

more over ,, Launching programs is one thing , and loading DATA into programs is another ..

you think loading a project into Photoshop with huge files is the same on non raid ?

the same for loading movies into movie editing .. you think loding 1GB movie is the same speed ?

no it is not . starting software is no big deal , Using the software is the big deal ...

USAFRet

Titan

Moving that movie from what to what?
A large sequential file from one SSD RAID to another SSD RAID, sure. Way fast.
And how often do people actually do that?

The OP is almost certainly using the 120GB for his OS. Small non sequential data. Adding another in a RAID 0 would benefit exactly zero, except for a single drive letter space.

Whatever.
If the OP wishes, just add other SSD's, and leave off the RAID action.

Not here for an argument. But SSD + RAID 0 is not the panacea as many people would like to believe.
*I* would love it to be so. However, it does not seem to be the case.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

here is how :

reading data into programs .. or auto saving files While working , backup the file on the same SSD to play with it . umm what more ?

Applying Filters to a group of files , lets say you have 10GB of photoes in raw (big files) you want to apply a filter to all of them , first you move them to the faster SSD from the harddisk , Then you do make the program you are using to apply that filter on all those photoes . The program reads them in Raw , Applies the filter , the saves them in the desired format .. All this is done on the SSD .. and if the SSD is Raid 0 will be alot faster ... here you have a collection of sequential reads , sequential writes , Random finding the files ..

If you have Contact with Toms hardware Storage review , mak him add such benchmark , it is easy to do , Just a script to apply a filter on a group of RAW Files and then write them .. Pass the info please :) , it is easy to code

have a nice day

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

how about you test it yourself ? I am sure you are eager to discover more viable performance options , and I am sure you have many SSD around you to test it .

have a nice day .. I am just telling What I know and What I experienced in long time . and I dont do benchmarks for free. people pay me for that . and not doing it to win argument in a forum .

Thank you and have a nice day.

USAFRet

Titan

Well...you're the one that made the claim.

MrInferno

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
I'll just cough up 90 bucks (while I still have money) for a quality 250GB Samsung SSD and I'll throw my current SSD in one of my laptops. Although I'll be wasting money......again, it's a quicker way to resolve this situation I got myself into. Thanks for all the answers guys.

USAFRet

Titan

Larger, faster, and repurpose the old one.
Not a waste of funds.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

Why put it in the notebook ? keep it inside the PC and use it as well .. you can install games/programs on it as well freeing more space in the OS SSD ...

TRENDING THREADS