Do SSDs really have shorter life spans? I am scared

ravenbear

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I have been using a pair of WD Blue 640gb 7200 rpm drives for the past 9 years and have never had any problems. I recently did a new pc build and am considering getting a SSD for it but am paranoid about its longevity. I would like the SSD to still work 9 years later like my old hard drives do.

The drive I was considering in particular is the Crucial MX300 525gb M.2 sata drive for $115. It only has a 3 year warranty (compared to the 10 year warranty on some expensive Samsung and SanDisk drives which are out of my price range).

I am hoping the 3 year warranty vs the 10 year warranty on expensive drives doesn't mean that this drive is likely to fail after 3 years? Since it is 525gb the drive would be used for all purpose - Windows, games, and even short term storage for media/documents. I would probably have this as the only drive in my computer since 525gb is enough for me.

Should I get this SSD or stick with hard drive if I want long term viability?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the crucial ssd has an " endurance rating of up to 220TB total bytes written" that's a lot but if you try to use the drive for non-stop torrents or such activity it won't last as long.

this is 419 complete ssd fill-ups but probably less in reality. have to do some computing but this let's you fill it up and delete it 3+ times a month over 10 year span!!! probably gonna last a while under normal use ;)

USAFRet

Titan

And for a real world comparison, my previous OS drive (120GB Kingston) racked up 12.5TB in 3+ years of use.
It is not being used right now simply due to size. It is awaiting another PC to go into.

Both of my Crucial SSDs are ~2-3 years old with ~10-12 TB written according to a diagnostic utility. They are predicted to be at 98% of their rated lifespan and predicted to last until 2025.

Actually, 9 years is pretty impressive for a spinning hard disk. Don't think I've had one last that long - or they were retired because of size.

Your ssd will be long obsolete before it runs out of updates.

Larger ssd devices like 240gb and larger have more available nand blocks so they last disproportionately longer.

And... I would stick with Samsung or Intel as a source. They make their own nand chips and I think they keep the better ones for themselves.