Question Do the new Sager laptops use a desktop GPU?

paladinyogi

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Hello,

I’m looking at purchasing a Sager laptop and was wondering if they use a desktop GPU instead of the Max-Q? I was also wondering if anyone has experience with these laptops and their performance? How close are they to desktops, how do they handle being connected to a say, 24” 1080p monitor? I want a laptop that I can bring into my living room etc. more then traveling, so I would prefer a larger laptop with a bigger screen, larger dimensions etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They do list their parts on each model. It would connect to a 24" monitor like anything with a digital display output.

Max-Q is essentially a binning of GPUs that can run at lower voltages than their power hungry desktop counterparts. And the accompanying cooler and marketing package that goes along with it. Some mobile versions of GPUs actually have more CUDA cores then their desktop counterparts, they just run them at a lower clock speed.

They do offer models with desktop CPUs and chipsets on custom boards. But typically have MXM cards for mobile GPUs. I can't think of a model that outright lets you install a PCIe card (Though it wouldn't surprise me)

These days I wouldn't pay that premium. There are plenty of gaming laptops with nice large high refresh screens, and the GPUs and coolers to run them included.

paladinyogi

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
They do list their parts on each model. It would connect to a 24" monitor like anything with a digital display output.

Max-Q is essentially a binning of GPUs that can run at lower voltages than their power hungry desktop counterparts. And the accompanying cooler and marketing package that goes along with it. Some mobile versions of GPUs actually have more CUDA cores then their desktop counterparts, they just run them at a lower clock speed.

They do offer models with desktop CPUs and chipsets on custom boards. But typically have MXM cards for mobile GPUs. I can't think of a model that outright lets you install a PCIe card (Though it wouldn't surprise me)

These days I wouldn't pay that premium. There are plenty of gaming laptops with nice large high refresh screens, and the GPUs and coolers to run them included.

I contacted Sager and they gave me a link to the the specifications to the 2080 they offer in their laptops. My question regarding the 24” monitor is if a laptop with a i9-9900K, a GTX 2080 and 32GB’s of 3000mghz DDR4 memory can “power” a 24” 1080p monitor while playing your average game.

paladinyogi

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
The size of the monitor is not important. the number of pixels that have to be computed is the inportant thing. It takes the same amount of computing power to generate a 1080P (1920x1080) picture whether the monitor is 24 inches or a 124 inches.

I did not know this, this laptop can easily handle 1080p so a 24” 1080p monitor is perfectly fine, thank you!