Question Do the old power supplies still work today?

Jul 24, 2019
Hello,
I have actually a very old pc and i want to build a new one.
I just want to keep my power supplie because it's still great, but i wonder if it's stil compatible.
It is the Corsair AX750

Corsair_AX850_AX750_AX650_Modular_Connector_Full_Set_11pcs_with_Pins__50468_zoom.jpg

My new pc will be brand new for the other pieces (AMD ryzen 7 3000 : RTX 2080 etc.....)
Thanks

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
As long as the Wattage (750 in you case) is enough for you system (be sure that the power supply has more Wattage than the maximum wattage amount that your system can pull off under heavy load) it shouldn't really be a problem. If the systm randomly shuts down on heavy loads or even like if doing nothing (idle) than you can simply change the power supply. In my case I have a be quiet! Pure Power L7 530W. My system includes a GTX 1660Ti and a I5-8500 and 530W are actually more than enough for it. However I still have the issue that my PC randomly shuts down no matter if I'm playing or just letting the PC on youtube without anything opened to go grab some tea or whatever and after coming back it's off.

So basically just test your PSU on your new system and if your PC shuts down then you can simply buy a new one because out of my experience random shut downs won't inflict any damage on you hardware.

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
You will need a 24-Pin ATX cable, 4 Pin or 8-Pin EPS/CPU cable (depends on motherboard), 6-Pin PCI-E cable (depends on graphics card), some SATA power cables and that's basically it for the most systems out there. I cannot see any cables in your picture but if you still have all the cables that you got from the begining then you are good to go at least I can say that because in Amazon under the delivery materials it states that you get all the cables that I mentioned above.

Reactions: Marcus_MPC

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Those were very good units by Corsair and I think the OEM was Seasonic. The warranty was 7 years I think? In that case (not sure about this) the unit is now beyond it's warranty period. I would suggest you get a similarly good-quality PSU for the new system and retire this one.

I wouldn't test a new system with a PSU and if it shuts down randomly change it. I don't think your AX750 would have a problem POSTing and booting the new PC and even run it under load for now but you can't know when it's going to fail. Good units like this usually don't blow other components when they die but I wouldn't suggest you test that.

For a system with Ryzen 7 3xxx and a 2080 even a solid 550W is enough but you can get a good 650W to have some headroom too.

Yes wattage is important but a PSU is not merely a watt tank; there a lot more to it than that. The quality of design and build and components used and the kind of protection implemented are really important too.

There are PSUs out there than can deliver 750W but if they fail they kill other components; motherboards and graphics cards being usually the first victim. Also they are absolute fire hazards; they can actually cause fires in your home. And repeated sudden shutdowns can affect the system from data loss or corruption and in some cases even to hardware issues because it indicates a problem with the power supply.