Do These Parts Work?

Denganim20

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017
Ok so I decided I want to upgrade my RAM, CPU, and Motherboard to have better performance on games. Also My GPU is ok as I have a GTX 1060 6GB.

Here are the parts I'm looking to get:
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K $193
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000MHz $127
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z270XP-SLI LGA1151 Intel 2-Way ATX DDR4 Motherboard $140
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $30

All of these components in total are about $500 which is good for me. Now I just want to make sure:
Are these components compatible with one another?
Can this build play more modern day games efficiently, like Battlefield 1?
And will this build allow overclocking?

Any answer is greatly appreciated!

Solution

To answer your question directly, yes...

GambinoGod

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
They all work together, you can play newer games on medium-high with a decent amount of FPS, and for overclocking you would need a water cooling and make sure to have a PSU that can deliver enough power to the CPU if you want to overclock it.
But with that air cooler you might be able to get 0.4GHz, more or less.

To answer your question directly, yes, all of the parts you listed are compatible and will work. However...

Allow me to share some thoughts on your current list and some alternatives to consider to make your build better in terms of value (price/performance).

THOUGHTS ON YOUR BUILD:
The i5-6600K is indeed overclockable. It has a base clock speed of 3.5GHz (up to 3.90GHz turbo boost), with 4 cores and only 4 threads (no hyperthreading). It doesn't come with a stock cooler to dissipate its 91W TDP (higher TDP if OC'd), so, your choice of getting an aftermarket CPU Cooler (Fan) is correct (though there are better performing, non-bulky coolers for an affordable price as well). The i5-6600K is part of the 6th-gen (Skylake) Intel CPUs, so, your choice of motherboard which is a Z270-chipset released for the 7th-gen Kaby Lake CPU will support both 6th-gen and 7th-gen out-of-the-box (though you may also get a Z170-chipset mobo if the price is less than what you selected). The RAM speed of 3000MHz is supported by both the CPU and the mobo, and the 16GB capacity is the norm nowadays (just make sure you get a 2 x 8GB kit to take advantage of faster dual-channel memory speeds).

Your parts do cost below $500:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($192.40 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z270XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($126.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $468.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-30 02:08 EDT-0400

ALTERNATIVE RECOMMENDED PARTS:
Battlefield 1 is a CPU-intensive game and should perform much better when provided with a CPU that has more cores/threads. This is the disadvantage of the i5's (having only 4 cores and 4 threads). If wish to stick with an Intel build, it is highly recommended to get an i7 (with 4 cores and 8 threads, due to hyperthreading technology). The i7-6700K (6th-gen, 4.0GHz up to 4.2GHz, 91W TDP) or the i7-7700K (7th-gen, 4.2GHz up to 4.5GHz, 91W TDP) are your best choices of overclockable Intel CPUs. However, going for an i7 means spending over ~$300 for that CPU alone. Nowadays, the i5 has lost its value to the recently released AMD Ryzen 5 and as such, it would have better price/performance if you seriously consider this build below:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $401.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-30 02:18 EDT-0400

The recommended build above uses the Ryzen 5 1600 CPU. It has a base clock speed of 3.2GHz (up to 3.6GHz turbo), with 6 cores and 12 threads. It comes with a very decent stock cooler (can be used for mild OCing) to dissipate its very low 65W TDP (slightly higher TDP if OC'd), so, costs for an aftermarket CPU Cooler (Fan) is eliminated. Note that all Ryzen CPUs are overclockable. The B350-chipset AM4-socket motherboard supports overclocking any Ryzen CPUs. Best thing about Gigabyte motherboards is there exclusive DualBIOS design (so you don't have to worry bricking your mobo if you need to flash BIOS, esp. with the Ryzen platform which is newly released). The RAM included in the above build is clocked higher at 3200MHz (same 16GB capacity), but using 2 x 8GB kit for faster dual channel memory speeds.

All in all, the above Ryzen build only costs ~$400 (i.e., ~$100 less than your budget - savings of which can be put to good use in getting other important components such as the PSU and GPU).

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrzvFN6YXc"][/video]
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo"][/video]
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY5Y_0VglGw"][/video]
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTt-S9DaO6g"][/video]

Solution