Do they still sell CRT computer monitors?

Solution
Monitor as such, is only output device, unless it has a webcam which is input device. So, without a webcam, there's no way someone could "hack" into your monitor to see what you're looking at or who's face is looking at it. If your PC is compromised then any monitoring is made within OS itself, well before the image reaches your monitor.

There are several reasons why the manufacture of CRT monitors ended:
* CRT monitors have bulky size compared to the LCD monitors, which are far thinner.
* It's very difficult to mount CRT monitors on the wall, where mounting LCD monitor on the wall is far easier.
* Due to the size of CRT monitors, it's impractical to build larger than 40" screen monitor. LCD monitors surpass that size limitation...

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017

I read somewhere that flat screen monitors have a special diode inside of them which interprets the way that light reflects off the monitor and converts it into image information.

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017

Does this mean that what is being displayed by the monitor can be spied on, or objects in front of the monitor (such as someone's face) can be viewed as well?

I always suspected that there was an additional, secret reason why they transitioned from CRT's to flat-screens. Just like the camera on your smartphone is always watching you and scanning your facial biometrics so it can reference that with all of your internet browsing activities.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's time to turn off the tv and talk radio for a while.

it's got you all paranoid and scared of shadows. many studies have been shown that that stuff literally causes the same type of brain damage as schizophrenia!!!! for the sake of your mental and physical health turn that crap off and come back to the real world.

plenty of spying on you going on through your cell phone and pc habits but let's not take it so far as this.

not worth worrying about the monitor itself but i do get one without a webcam. they can and do turn that on without your knowledge for many reasons. other than that, the rest is crazy talk.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Monitor as such, is only output device, unless it has a webcam which is input device. So, without a webcam, there's no way someone could "hack" into your monitor to see what you're looking at or who's face is looking at it. If your PC is compromised then any monitoring is made within OS itself, well before the image reaches your monitor.

There are several reasons why the manufacture of CRT monitors ended:
* CRT monitors have bulky size compared to the LCD monitors, which are far thinner.
* It's very difficult to mount CRT monitors on the wall, where mounting LCD monitor on the wall is far easier.
* Due to the size of CRT monitors, it's impractical to build larger than 40" screen monitor. LCD monitors surpass that size limitation easily. I've seen 55" and even 62" single screens.
* CRT monitors are also very heavy compared to their screen size. I had 17" CRT monitor and that weighed at least 5x more than my current 23" LCD monitor.
* Also, CRT monitors waste a lot of electricity as heat, making them very inefficient.

There is no secret reason (conspiracy) why CRT monitors were phased out. That's how technology evolves. Something is invented (CRT) to do something (display information in pictorial form) while when time passes, a better version of same thing is invented (LCD) while the old tech becomes obsolete (CRT).

I can give you plenty of examples of PC hardware evolution. E.g:
RAM - 1st there was SDRAM, then came DDR, then DDR2, DDR3, DDR4 and now DDR5 is in the making.
PCI - 1st there was PCI for GPUs etc. Them came out PCI-E 1.0, PCI-E 2.0 and now, we have PCI-E 3.0 in use in modern PCs.
Storage connections - 1st there was PATA (IDE), then came SATA and it's revisions, now M.2 is thing in PC world.
Storage drives - HDD is oldest, then came SSD and latest is M.2 NVMe SSD.
CPU socket - From Intel side: LGA775, LGA771, LGA1366, LGA1155, LGA2011, LGA1150, LGA1151 (full list here).
CPU - From Intel side by CPU families: Ivy Bridge, Sandy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, (Cannon Lake, Ice Lake, Tiger Lake).
MoBo chipset - From Intel side and Z-series: Z97, Z170, Z270, Z370 where latest is Z390 chipset.
Multimedia storage - Once, there was VHS, which is now obsolete just as CRT. VHS has been effectively replaced with DVDs now.

I think believing in a conspiracy theory is a good thing since it shows you're curious. But if your conspiracy theories make you paranoid and stop living your life normally (where you can go crazy due to it, as said above) then you should either stop using monitors all together or you should change your way of thinking. For example, i'm not sold on the idea that Great Pyramid of Giza was entirely built by humans without any extraterrestrial help and it's use as a tomb. But my life isn't handicapped due to my way of thinking in that matter.

Solution

AH, no. ROFL.....

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
The only group (besides conspiracy nut jobs) that still has any interest in CRT monitors is vintage gaming fans like me. If you want to play anything up to PS1 games they need a 15khz crt monitor to look right. For everything else, there is no point.

Also, it's harder to keep the tin foil on your head when holding heavy CRT TVs .... so there's that.....

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
took me a few tries but i managed a chin strap for my tin foil hat. helps keep it in place when i'm busy dodging all the stop signs. cause of course you know they all have biometric scanners that checks your dna as you pass and infect you with gamma rays if you're on the gov's hit list. and since i know what i know, i know i'm on that list!!!

DP5PN4LVAAAvDqH.jpg

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012

Not sure how you are going to be able to dig the government chips out of your neck while wearing such comprehensive protection.