Pythonbites

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017
Hello! So, I made a few VMs, one Windows 7, One Ubuntu 18.10, and the other, Windows 8.1. All of them boot up fine. But they have slow performance. I'm not sure why (I don't run them at the same time) I give each of them 4 Gb of RAM, 2 Cores and around 100 mb of video memory. I just can't understand the problem. I think it may be the storage. I have the Fixed Size Virtual Hard Disks running on the only drive in my system: the Toshiba P300. it is 6 GB/s and is 7200 rpm. But it is the same one as my os and all the programs i have in the back ground access it too (I have tried closing off those programs, it does nothing). So my question is, is it better I get another relitively fast HDD and plonk the VHDs on that or is it better i get an SSD for them? I'm only a really tight budget at the moment of only like, 80 pounds and i'm planning to make ALOT of virtual machines (7) with different Operating Systems with decent sized VHDs. Thanks for any help! (I do not plan on running these VMs simultaneously.)

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
RAM: 2x4GB DDR4
GPU: Nvidia GeForce MSI GT 1030 GDDR5 Aero OC 2GB
Storage: Toshiba P300 1TB 7200 RPM 6 GB/S.

Solution
You made the VMs with what? Virtual Box?

How much RAM can you possibly devote to a VM if your OS only has 8 GB of RAM?

Add more RAM...and get an SSD for the OS....

Then, use a real hypervisor such as HyperV, KVM, ESXI-Vsphere, ProxMox, or XCP-NG....

Then, use a real hypervisor such as HyperV, KVM, ESXI-Vsphere, ProxMox, or XCP-NG....

Solution

Pythonbites

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017

I use VmWare Workstation Player 15 for personal use. I don't use VMs heavily, just for light usage and testing / destructions. I'm not willing to pay for a high end Hypervisor just yet since I'm not using them so much as to require one. About my RAM. The programs i have in the background don't take up much RAM, Steam Discord and Avast i have. They never take up more than a gig so 4 GB is how much i allocate and i look in my task manager on the VMs and see only like 40% being used. But anyway. So what you're saying is that i should reinstall windows on an SSD and put my Virtual Hard Disks on the 1 TB HDD? Also thanks for responding.