[SOLVED] Do wireless cards work if they fit the slot

Uterian

Prominent
Aug 28, 2021
Hello. my current laptop has slow wifi speed from my room while my old laptop had no issue.
my old laptop's wifi card was Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
new laptop's wifi card is Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 9462

the two cards similar with 1 exception. 7265 has a small empty space in its socket. But it would fit 9462's socket.

I still don't know if the problem is caused by the card or the 2 cables that connects card and antennas. So I want to test my laptop with my old card. But I don't want to cause any damage to hardware.
So , If I put 7265 into 9462's slot, would it work ?
Untitled-1.png

Solution
The 7265 is an M.2 type 3030 and the 9462 is an M.2 type CNVio.
CNVio support requires newer CPUs. Unfortunately, even Intel's own documentation is very lacking on the compatibility/swapability of these components.

Even though the 'keying' appears compatible, the actual pinout looks completely different. I wouldn't try it unless you can get concrete proof that it will work.
The 7265 is an M.2 type 3030 and the 9462 is an M.2 type CNVio.
CNVio support requires newer CPUs. Unfortunately, even Intel's own documentation is very lacking on the compatibility/swapability of these components.

Even though the 'keying' appears compatible, the actual pinout looks completely different. I wouldn't try it unless you can get concrete proof that it will work.

Solution