Discussion Do you believe the new navi cards will be released with stable drivers?

jaggafeen

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
after my terrible experience with radeon vii and black screens since release day and hearing of all the issues the 5700 and 5600 owners have suffered i doubt in its current state AMD will be able to sell us a stable GPU that wont crash.

imagine buying a top of the range car that always cuts out and leaves you stuck at the kerb.

you can go check the amd forums many users of these cards are still suffering from major stability issues.

For this reason i am selling my radeon vii and switching to the green team.

for the last 20 years i always bought a AMD gpu.

dunno if i can hang on till the new release from nvidia trying hard to stop myself from buying a evga 2080ti

Do you believe the new navi cards will be released with stable drivers?

opinions please........

I think a bunch of cowboys working for AMD. Their breakneck pace of CPU and GPU releases is not sustainable by their R&D budget.

Navi 1 was tough because it was a brand new architecture. Generally as an architecture matures, it's easier to predict its evolutionary behavior.

Both AMD and Nvidia have GPU driver issues from time to time. Having to release monthly driver updates is a strenuous task.

Do you believe the new navi cards will be released with stable drivers?

opinions please........

Yes with an 70% certainty but there is only a 30% chance of that.

There is absolutely no way to know aside from some wild guess. I'd say this question can be answered with about the same accuracy as predicting the results of a sports season before the first game is played.

at this point black screen is one of AMD GPU feature. it happen since first gen GCN. will the upcoming RDNA 2 going to have tiptop drivers from the get go? looking at AMD product launch for years when they launch new GPU they usually have issues be it driver or something else. not saying nvidia is perfect (they also have their moment) but some of the issues AMD had is simply design issue like what happen with R9 290X cooler or the power issue they had with RX480.