Do you guys own both notebook and desktop PC?

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Do you guys own both notebook and desktop PC?

do you find using notebook useful or redundant?

I am contemplating buying a notebook. I need your input from using notebook outside of the home.

phase_22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I bought my notebook for my univ. summer (06') math class, on account of the AZ monsoons. I have made heavy use of it for visualization (3d surfaces), wireless internet, word processing, and I really enjoy the cool quiet operation. It also serves as my back up computer in case the desktop stops running.
The notebook is a Dell E1405 with 7.2k rpm HDD and Core (yonah) duo at 1.66 Ghz. If it means anything also, the E1405 is not affected by the battery recall issues.

Edit: error in RPM of HD

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I have both because I have so much hard drive space requirements, but now that notebooks are so powerful, you can definately get by with just that, especially if you have this sweet new external RAID box I got that can utilize USB 2.0 or eSATA from Sans Digital model MS2UT.

arretx

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Not anymore. I turned my desktop into a 2003 Small Business Server with Exchange, DHCP, and DNS through Active Directory.

Now, my laptop synchronizes everytime I login with my re-directed folders so I always have a backup of my files.

The "server" also has SATA raid so the data is redundant. Barring total disaster, my data is quite safe.

Wang3103

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I own a destkop and 2 notebooks.

Desktop is custom built. It's my main use computer when I'm not deployed. Use it to surf, convert videos, games, crunch numbers i.e. seti@home, einstein@home, folding@home.

2 Notebooks. Alienware Area 51m and Killernotebooks Assassin.
When I'm not deployed notebooks do the number crunching i.e. seti@home... etc. When I am deployed (which is often for USMC) laptop is a definite must especially if you're in Iraq. It helps fill your downtime... movies, games... etc.

It definitely helps to have your own laptop while traveling whether it be for pleasure or work.

g3neration

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Currently I have 2 notebooks and 2 desktops ( soon to be 4 ).

I had the same question you had before I got my first laptop which was about a good 6-7 years ago. Was it really necessary?

Well, turns out that its not "necessary" at first. You can do all the same things as you can do on a desktop AND these days for a high end laptop you can get the equivalent as a desktop for less ( maybe even for 1/2 the price ). So why buy it?

Laptops offer one thing mainly, convienence. You can take your work, games, music, whatever anywhere you go ( unless you're lugging around a 10lbs machine + whatever accessories, with a bad back :p ). After awhile laptop usage far outweighs desktop usage if you dont spend much time at home or if you're on the road a lot.

So I guess it boils down to, are you at home a lot? When you are outside, do you actually have the time to use it? For instance if you're just running around on errands, etc with no real time to sit down, then laptops might not be a good way to go. If on the other hand, you go to school or if you spend your time at the office a lot or something similar then laptop would be a good investment. What happens in a lot of cases is that you do your work, or play your games, whatever on your laptop and then go home and just upload them to your desktop. The desktop soon turns into a big file storing paperweight. :lol:

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have 3 laptops

And the alainware m5550 core 2 t7600. Might be small 7lb but it beat the shorts off of Amd Fx 62. Great if you want game power while at a friends house.

The other 2 laptops can play low to mid range games. But that about it.

nugundam93

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Currently I have 2 notebooks and 2 desktops ( soon to be 4 ).

I had the same question you had before I got my first laptop which was about a good 6-7 years ago. Was it really necessary?

Well, turns out that its not "necessary" at first. You can do all the same things as you can do on a desktop AND these days for a high end laptop you can get the equivalent as a desktop for less ( maybe even for 1/2 the price ). So why buy it?

Laptops offer one thing mainly, convienence. You can take your work, games, music, whatever anywhere you go ( unless you're lugging around a 10lbs machine + whatever accessories, with a bad back :p ). After awhile laptop usage far outweighs desktop usage if you dont spend much time at home or if you're on the road a lot.

So I guess it boils down to, are you at home a lot? When you are outside, do you actually have the time to use it? For instance if you're just running around on errands, etc with no real time to sit down, then laptops might not be a good way to go. If on the other hand, you go to school or if you spend your time at the office a lot or something similar then laptop would be a good investment. What happens in a lot of cases is that you do your work, or play your games, whatever on your laptop and then go home and just upload them to your desktop. The desktop soon turns into a big file storing paperweight. :lol:

my sentiments exactly. laptop posting from the throne room (bathroom) FTW. :lol:

99vw

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Well I find my laptop very usefull when I wanna layback and use the internet. Such as right now as I am laying on the couch watching tv and writing this. Also its great for when your on the road and wanna play a game or watch a movie.

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I use my desktop as a light duty server, and use laptops for most of my day to day work. I haven't come to a good conclusion on how I want to handle games.

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I have my PC in my sig at home that I use for Mainly Gaming, Movies and Music it has XP. I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 with T7500,2Gb,160Gb 7200RPM, and 8400GS 128Mb on 14.1" WXGA and Vista on it's way right now from Dell which I plan to use for Uni, taking to work, and letting girlfriend use for MSN while I'm gaming on my PC.
Also looking forward to having my own Laptop available to me all the time for things like air travel and staying at girlfriends house (oops, umm I didn't say that). Also another plus for me will be being able to take this to LANs for light gaming when I can't take my whole PC or I wont be there long enough to justify taking my whole PC.

My family has 2 desktops and 3 laptops.

Desk1: P4@3.2|Intel 925x|1gb DDR2-400|160gb 7200rpm HDD|GeForce 6800|Creative X-Fi Platinum

Desk2: P4@2.8|Intel 915g|1gb DDR2-400|80gb 7200rpm HDD| ATi X1300| Creative Audigy2 ZS

Lap1: my laptop in the sig

Lap2:Insprion 9300 CeleronM @ 1.83ghz|17'' WUXGA|1gb DDR2-533|60gb 7200rpm HDD| GeForce Go 6800

Lap3: Inspiron 6000 specs not worth listing.

I find laptops very useful. I enjoy the ability to take mine anywhere in my house and use it to game and surf the web. I may even take it to my College classes, but the weight may prohibit that.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I currently only have a laptop, being a uni student, I can't afford two computers. So I have a Killer Notebooks Executioner that, although it weighs almost 10 pounds, is my computer that I can bring anywhere to work with. I personally find that the 10 pound load is nothing, even though I'm a relatively small guy. It provides the power of a mid-high range desktop in a portable unit. Also, I use it less as a laptop and more as a desktop replacement. I rarely use it on my lap, I'll set it on a desk so it has the most stability and it's comfortable for me. I would love to have a desktop that has even more power, but alas, the money issue.

mjdart

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I own both a Laptop and a Desktop for personal use. They are both Alienware systems, the desktop is a 2005 Model Area 51 5550 Extreme. It has a P4 3.4GHz processor and an Asus 6800 Ultra Graphics card (256MB Mem). The Laptop a later 2006 model is the M5750 with a Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz and the ATI 1800 (256MB Mem). The typical benchmarks 3DMark 01, 03, & 05 concludes that both systems are nearly identical in performance. However the laptop can be easily transported for away from the home gaming and movie watching on its 1920x1200 1080P screen.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have both... Just got Gateway P6831 FX with the Geforce 8800GTS 512 Megs and it rocks. Nice getting this for $1250 when everywhere else is offering older slower video (7950 or 8700m) and less specs overall and are trying to charge $2000-3000!!! LOL :)
I dont know about you but $1250 is a lot better than 2 Grand...

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Haha, that's pretty sweet deal. I got my laptop for around 2000 dollars, but this was back last year when the 7950GTX was in it's prime, and it's still a very capable card. Just technology progresses, and the new 'best' is out.

At some point in the future, I'll have to build a desktop that can take the next-next gen games. :D

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
No not really the res is great for gaming. Makes it so I can max any game except Crysis. Hard drive is actually pretty good. Especially now, I have a 4 gig SD card setup with Readyboost and it quickens up my load times a lot. Games look incredible on this thing, well at least COD4 and teamfortress 2 which I have played on it so far. I had a laptop with a 1920x1200 screen and it was to high for a 17 inch screen. I would say the MAX i would ever consider is 1680x1050...

Oh and the hard drive seems faster than a 120 gig sata 5400 rpm that I had in a thinkpad t61P. Maybe its a better drive?

I figure in a year or so I will get the Penyrn 2.8 GHZ dual core or if it turns out that it can handle it a Quad Core... :)