[SOLVED] Do you guys think my PSU will handle an RTX 3080?

It's said to consume 320 watts just for the graphics card.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-enthusiast-series-cp-9020042-na-750w/p/N82E16817139021?Item=N82E16817139021

There's my PSU.

It's 8 years old but it hasn't been heavily used. It's been under a pretty light load over its lifetime.

But I have used SLI a few times. Although I didn't game nearly as much as I wanted to. Definitely not daily. Maybe about 10 hours a week if that.

I stupidly ordered a lower wattage PSU.

a Corsair CX650M. It hasn't arrived yet. But I thought I'd need a new PSU. I considered an RM850x which I should have bought. But I wanted a new case too and didn't have the money for both at the time. So I skimped on the power supply.

Just realized I posted this in CPU's.

Solution
I’d never use an 8 year old psu to power a brand new high end gpu. As for the CX650M you need to wait for the gpu reviews and to see peak power requirements. It also matters what the rest of the pc is.
I think I'll probably be cutting it close with the CX650M. It's definitely not a poorly built PSU from what I can tell from reading the reviews on it. There definitely wouldn't be much headroom but I believe it'll run it just fine.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I may go ahead and get an RM850x. Because that's the one I really wanted.
A better option although 750watts should be fine as well.

AND IDK what I'll do with the CX650M because the store I ordered from specifically says I can't return it unless it's defective. So I'm not allowed to change my mind.
Don't get it out of the package and sell it.

A better option although 750watts should be fine as well.

Don't get it out of the package and sell it.
Yeah but 750 watts isn't that much cheaper anyway. I don't believe. Well unless you can show me one that's around $100 and good quality. I wouldn't consider buying a 750 watt PSU for 119.99 to 139.99 when I can get an RM850x for just a little bit more money and it puts my mind more at ease if I do decide to go for the RTX 3090. Which I probably won't. But I still like the option.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: theonerm2
Solution