[SOLVED] Do you have to change any settings in the bios before installing M.2 drive or should it work straight away?

S225

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019
Hi there!
Currently in the process of upgrading my hardware. Decided to buy an M.2 SSD also a new motherboard. I’ve never used M.2 before and was just wondering if there were anything I need to do in the bios before installing or should it work straight away? I’ve seen a few people talking about changing some settings before.

M.2:
WD Black SN850

Motherboard:
ASUS B450 Gaming II

Just want to double check before I go ahead and start installing the hardware.

thanks,
Shay

Solution
Install it, then go DIRECTLY into the BIOS and it should find it. Then save and close and load your OS. It should auto recognize it. Then right click on the start button and click on device manager. It should see it. Then go to your file manager and start using it.

Keep us updated....

Today at 8:36 AM

Hi there!
Currently in the process of upgrading my hardware...
Is it a boot drive or a data drive?

If boot drive, will you be doing a clean Windows install?

I've got an M2 as a data drive and can't recall doing anything unusual to get it going.

Do you have that tiny screw you need to attach the M2 to the motherboard?

S225

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019
Is it a boot drive or a data drive?

If boot drive, will you be doing a clean Windows install?

I've got an M2 as a data drive and can't recall doing anything unusual to get it going.

Do you have that tiny screw you need to attach the M2 to the motherboard?
Just going to be using it to store games.
Yeah the motherboard has screws to attach drives to it,

thanks for your help!

Some folks will tell you to put a heatsink on it and get you to worry about temps.

I don't use a heatsink.

My experience:

The day I got mine (Intel 660p, 2 TB), I ran a torture test on it from the Intel Toolbox. The test wrote 7 TB to the drive in about 6 hours. That's more than I write to it in a year under normal use.

Temps got to 73 in that test. Critical temp for the drive per Intel documents is above 80.

Other than that test, temps have never hit 70 and very rarely hit 60. Typical temps are low 40s in a warm 27 C room. Temp right this minute is 39. If I do a virus scan or copy a big batch of files, temps are in the 50s.

So, I'm heatsink-free.

S225

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019
Some folks will tell you to put a heatsink on it and get you to worry about temps.

I don't use a heatsink.

My experience:

The day I got mine (Intel 660p, 2 TB), I ran a torture test on it from the Intel Toolbox. The test wrote 7 TB to the drive in about 6 hours. That's more than I write to it in a year under normal use.

Temps got to 73 in that test. Critical temp for the drive per Intel documents is above 80.

Other than that test, temps have never hit 70 and very rarely hit 60. Typical temps are low 40s in a warm 27 C room. Temp right this minute is 39. If I do a virus scan or copy a big batch of files, temps are in the 50s.

So, I'm heatsink-free.
I heard about the temps so just got a cheap heat sink. But that’s quite interesting

Hi there!
Currently in the process of upgrading my hardware. Decided to buy an M.2 SSD also a new motherboard. I’ve never used M.2 before and was just wondering if there were anything I need to do in the bios before installing or should it work straight away? I’ve seen a few people talking about changing some settings before.

M.2:
WD Black SN850

Motherboard:
ASUS B450 Gaming II

Just want to double check before I go ahead and start installing the hardware.

thanks,
Shay
Don't know about your mobo but in my pc I needed to enable the m.2 slot in the bios.

Sep 5, 2021
Install it, then go DIRECTLY into the BIOS and it should find it. Then save and close and load your OS. It should auto recognize it. Then right click on the start button and click on device manager. It should see it. Then go to your file manager and start using it.

Keep us updated....

Hi there!

Solution

S225

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019

Keep us updated....

Hi there!
Thanks! Will let you know