Question Do you ignore Nvidia GPUs because of it's data collection via GeForce Experience?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
I've been wondering if people refuse to buy Nvidia GPUs because the GeForece Experience requires you to create an account and/or because of the data collection?

I myself would prefer an Nividia GPU but have decided to buy AMD this time, because I wont support surveillance. We are paying for the product, we are not getting it for free.

Previously I just didn't install GeForce Experience, and hoped for them to change their code of conduct, but I have decided to not buy their products anymore.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

KyaraM

Admirable
How can it monitor me when I am offline and restore an image every time I boot? How can the smart devices that I do not own, for obvious reasons, monitor me?

I've got hardware that has neve been online, there is hardware that I have chosen to live without. Your opinion is that you don't care / surveillance is ok / everybody does it so why fight it, and I respect those opinions.
No, that is NOT my opinion, at all, don't put words in my mouth. It's simply reality, and the fact that you are even talking to me right now tells me that you do go online somehow anyways. And if you aren't even online... why the heck is any of this an issue for you? It makes no sense! Well, whatever. Bye.

Besides which, I've NEVER had to create an Nvidia account, for anything. Not for using GeForce experience. Not for downloading drivers. Not for using their products OR software. Nothing. Ever. So, not sure where you got that idea, but you can move that one to the "nope" box along with the rest of the premise you've presented here. It's simply not true. And no, AMD does not "make" you create an account either, for doing any of that. Using their software or drivers. If you do that, you do it willingly and it is completely optional.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I for one haven't been ignoring either of the gpu manufacturers, I always browse around when new releases are being made.

Money for hardware with drivers that always work in every situation or application, and with that above and beyond hardware specifications far beyond what was previously utilized.

And surely when something that outshines what I currently run, then it will be bought, and then one should find a way to incorporate it into your daily pc activities smoothly until the next is to be had, not because it becomes unlikable, brakes or fails in any other way.

Just as an example: My current GPU has 2048bit (tech mumble jumbo) but the point being is I don't see any newer gpu releases that come even close to this, this might be a moot point I am making here, but since it's just an example of what one should be looking at you should understand quite well, what really would sell in my opinion is better hardware with better capabilities.

I totally understand that some architecture differs too how other architecture operates and such things such bus width might not have any measure in a latest iteration of gpu, The only hardware that I can currently see that one would get with a new gpu is a ton of memory, and a little higher clocks, nothing really outshining yet.

And when it comes to surveillance or data collection, I could not give a damn, Sure don't know why anybody cares so much about that, everybody everywhere knows all they require about everybody else already, and such has it been forever since it was invented, no point in trying to fight that witch just you so happen to have just discovered!

Last edited:
Both companies are going to monitor to a point, however I don't think AMD requires an account, so perhaps theirs is a bit more anonymous. As I said before, these days nvidia doesn't seem to provide a great value for money in my opinion anyway. But that said, if you are that worried about them collecting data, you can probably also try to figure out which port they use to communicate and block it using windows firewall or the firewall in your router.

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
why the heck is any of this an issue for you?

I wanted to see how people vote on the subject. I told you this before.

No, that is NOT my opinion, at all, don't put words in my mouth. It's simply reality

:D

you do go online somehow anyways

So if people can see me when I go outside, I should do everything outside? If there is a camera on the street, then I should install cameras in my house too?

the fact that you are even talking to me right now

Let's get one thing straight. It's my post. You are the one talking to me, and being very polite and nice while doing it. Thank you for that.

It makes no sense!

I know, you have written that multiple times now. I do understand you. I know how you rationalize with regards to what we have been discussing. I've been there - in your shoes. And I have had this debate from your side of the fence decades ago. Going into details, and really make you understand, would require me to break the forum rules AND when you finally understand, judging from the way you debate, you would still claim it makes no sense, to not lose face.

When you communicate with a host, there are other parties that monitor (or is privy to) the traffic, and they make sure the data is not anonymized, regardless of the policies of the parties that claim to anonymize it. It does not matter if you are lawful like me or not.

Some people chose to alter their behavior to support activities that they don't agree with, as little as possible.

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
I wanted to see how people vote on the subject. I told you this before.

So if people can see me when I go outside, I should do everything outside? If there is a camera on the street, then I should install cameras in my house too?

Let's get one thing straight. It's my post. You are the one talking to me, and being very polite and nice while doing it. Thank you for that.

I know, you have written that multiple times now. I do understand you. I know how you rationalize with regards to what we have been discussing. I've been there - in your shoes. And I have had this debate from your side of the fence decades ago. Going into details, and really make you understand, would require me to break the forum rules AND when you finally understand, judging from the way you debate, you would still claim it makes no sense, to not lose face.

When you communicate with a host, there are other parties that monitor (or is privy to) the traffic, and they make sure the data is not anonymized, regardless of the policies of the parties that claim to anonymize it. It does not matter if you are lawful like me or not.

Some people chose to alter their behavior to support activities that they don't agree with, as little as possible.
Maybe stop talking to people as if they are children or just dumb, then, if you want to be understood. Oh, and btw, two people take part in conversations, it's not all about you here, so yes, I talk to you and you to me. And stop putting words in their mouths, that only makes people angry. I do everything I can to block tracking services and the like. I'm just not so naive to think I can ever block it all, especially considering that I need a smart phone and computer hooked up to the internet at all times for work. Because, well, some people work in tech. I also play games online, so I can't block that, either. All I can do is mitigate, and I do mitigate whenever I can. I'm just no fool thinking I can escape it all. and, once again, as everyone else here understands and seems to agree. It doesn't matter if you go AMD or Nvidia. Both collect your data whenever they can. Experience is an optional service you may or may not use. People here obvious do not feel forced to use it or make an account to use Nvidia drivers and features. Features that are, again, fully option and unnecessary for operation of the cards. If you don't want to understand that, then the issue lies with you, not any of us. And now I'm having enough of this and will ignore you in a friendly and polite way. Bye

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Maybe stop talking to people as if they are children or just dumb

Maybe stop talking to people as if they are children or just dumb, then, if you want to be understood. Oh, and btw, two people take part in conversations, it's not all about you here, so yes, I talk to you and you to me. And stop putting words in their mouths, that only makes people angry. I do everything I can to block tracking services and the like. I'm just not so naive to think I can ever block it all, especially considering that I need a smart phone and computer hooked up to the internet at all times for work. Because, well, some people work in tech. I also play games online, so I can't block that, either. All I can do is mitigate, and I do mitigate whenever I can. I'm just no fool thinking I can escape it all. and, once again, as everyone else here understands and seems to agree. It doesn't matter if you go AMD or Nvidia. Both collect your data whenever they can. Experience is an optional service you may or may not use. People here obvious do not feel forced to use it or make an account to use Nvidia drivers and features. Features that are, again, fully option and unnecessary for operation of the cards. If you don't want to understand that, then the issue lies with you, not any of us. And now I'm having enough of this and will ignore you in a friendly and polite way. Bye

Thank you yet again for your very kind and polite reply, even though you explicitly said you wouldn't reply. But you lied. Same as when you said I put words in your mouth.

If a company creates software that requires registration/being online/etc or whatever, then they make software that requires said features, where some of them might be configurable, regardless of the choices you or I take, or our opinions ... ah I forgot, my opinions and your facts.

If one brand implements less of this, then that brand obviously implements ... less of it.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thank you yet again for your very kind and polite reply, even though you explicitly said you wouldn't reply.

If a company creates software that requires registration/mentoring or whatever, then they make software that requires said features, regardless of the choices you or I take, or our opinions. Feel free to post yet another kind message, where you show just how well articulated you, your nuanced understanding and views, and what your intentions are.

The fundamental problem going through the thread isn't that you don't have a choice, it's that you want to force other parties to not have a choice.

Nvidia offers special software that is not needed to run their hardware. They offer this software conditionally, with specific conditions. You have the choice to either accept their offer and use the software or decline their offer if you don't want to use their software.

It's their choice to offer a product and set the conditions on which other people can use their product. You want to take away their choice; you get the benefit of what they offer without the associated cost.

What you're seeking is not "choice," but to get the benefits associated with a product without having to pay the cost of the benefit.

Reactions: iTRiP and KyaraM

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
What you're seeking is not "choice," but to get the benefits associated with a product without having to pay the cost of the benefit.

I've tried to explain it a couple of times, and seem to fail. So I will now exaggerate to make a point.

I find surveillance to be gross, like stalking and worse. Like if I buy food and water at the supermarket, and to fully use the products, I have to let them <Removed by moderator> . And it has become accepted (I consider the people that don't care to accept it) by everybody (at least in this thread), because I can disable some of it. That's how I look at it. And as some say, it is now so wide spread that you have to take extra actions, even extreme actions, to avoid it.

Second, if a company have these practices, then that company has these practices regardless of if I stop trading with them, or if I refuse to drink the water I bought from them.

Third, some companies do less of this than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.