[SOLVED] Do you like artistic style in video games?

Just a bit of a discussion.

Ever since I saw this video, I liked the style of graphics that FireWatch has.
View: https://youtu.be/gyKg7xmVIKw

The graphics are somewhat realistic up close, but the whole game has a pastel color scheme and in the distance, the landscape looks somewhat painted.

Firewatch running at full 4k (downscaled to 1080p) with ultra setting looks incredible.
View: https://imgur.com/wDF3LyM

Anyone else like this style of graphics?

Solution
it entirely depends. But for me, for the most part, I don't care if it's hyper realistic, or 8bit, as long as it was done well and doesn't look like complete ass, then it's all about the game itself and the gameplay and story.
If it doesn't have a story, then I usually won't bother playing it since it'll usually be one of those games that has no other purpose to play it than to simply just play it with no real goals, or ending to it.

never ending games that are just a chore or grind don't float my boat really.
Like sim games, and god complex/management games.

Competitive games are a different story though, like CoD and Street Fighter. I don't play them often much anymore, but sometimes I'm bored and in the mood for a little mindless...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
it entirely depends. But for me, for the most part, I don't care if it's hyper realistic, or 8bit, as long as it was done well and doesn't look like complete ass, then it's all about the game itself and the gameplay and story.
If it doesn't have a story, then I usually won't bother playing it since it'll usually be one of those games that has no other purpose to play it than to simply just play it with no real goals, or ending to it.

never ending games that are just a chore or grind don't float my boat really.
Like sim games, and god complex/management games.

Competitive games are a different story though, like CoD and Street Fighter. I don't play them often much anymore, but sometimes I'm bored and in the mood for a little mindless fun, but even those have a goal of some kind with a time limit to the matches.

To put it in a much simpler terminology:

I treat my video games the same way I treat reading books.
It has to take me on an adventure, and give me something I can't get IRL.

And then it has to end at some point and give me a feeling of completion and satisfaction.

Solution
More realism in games does not really make them better, nor is how much texture detail you can get. That is mostly marketing junk. Game play, smoothness and stability are the main things that we should be looking for, not how many leaves are on a tree or how many things cast shadows.

Reactions: Dcopymope