[SOLVED] Do you need an older CPU to build with the Ryzen 3?

Aug 13, 2019
So I'm planning to build an AMD system, and my pick for the mob and CPU are Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA and the Ryzen 5 3600. The question here is that do I need an older gen CPU to get the PC to boot and update the BIOS? Thanks a whole!

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
It depends, as there are a number of possibilities -

If the motherboard is brand new then it may or may not have an updated BIOS already as motherboard manufacturers only released Ryzen 3000 series updates around June this year.
If you can contact the seller and ask them if it has been updated and if not ask them to update it before shipping it as some will do.

Some motherboards can update the BIOS without a CPU - BIOS Flashback.

A decent computer shop won't charge much to update the BIOS using an older Ryzen 2000 series CPU.

You can get a special loan CPU from AMD by going on their website which lets you update the BIOS.

Andy

Reactions: Chin Phan
Most X470s already in the retailer supply chain are likely not Ryzen 3000 ready...best o know someone willing to lend you an R5-1600 etc if your MB is not capable of getting a BIOS downloaded without a CPU installed...

Newer boxed X470's were allegedly getting special labels, such as "Ryzen 3000 desktop ready' etc., to denote this updated BIOS status....

Reactions: Chin Phan