Status
Not open for further replies.

Fir3dog

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
I was wondering if it was worth spending a little extra on getting a 250 GB SSD to boot my operating system off of and I want to know gaming wise how much in an improvment in performance will I get while playing games.
My specs:
Cpu i7-4790k 4.4ghz
GPU GTX 970
16gb 1600mhz RAM
1tb hard drive

Solution
SSD's will only impact application load times, i.e you will get INTO games quicker but will see no fps improvements in games.

although it could help with loading textures. For instance, say you're playing gta 5 and driving at top speed through the city. You might start to see the textures lag behind when your game is on your hdd. but put the game on the ssd and you wont notice the textures loading when driving that fast

KLawinger

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
SSD's will only impact application load times, i.e you will get INTO games quicker but will see no fps improvements in games.

although it could help with loading textures. For instance, say you're playing gta 5 and driving at top speed through the city. You might start to see the textures lag behind when your game is on your hdd. but put the game on the ssd and you wont notice the textures loading when driving that fast

Solution

Mxhawthy

Distinguished
Hi,

It really depends on what games you will be playing. Games that have long loading times, such as Just Cause 3 or GTA V (large maps + lots of in-game objects to render) can see a good improvement from having an SSD. But if you don't play those types of games, I'm inclined to say that an SSD won't give you improvements for games. However, the speed that your OS will boot makes it worth spending just a tiny amount on a 120gb SSD for me.

USAFRet

Titan
So as it doesn't really effects performance
To save money we can buy 120GB SSD for operating system (Windows) and 500GB or 1TB HDD for games :)
  1. This is a 3 year old thread. The drive landscape has changed.
  2. I would absolutely not recommend a 120GB SSD. People always say :eek:nly the operating system". It never ever stays like that.
250GB or larger, or don't bother.

But as this is an ancient thread...closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.