Do you need dual link DVI cables for a 144Hz monitor?

jthamind

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Ok, so when I get my new PC, I've decided on going with the Asus VG248QE 144Hz monitors. I'm using to having two monitors, so I was thinking of getting two of the Asus since they're not that expensive. My GPU is likely going to be a GTX 980, and I've read where they only have one DVI slot. I know there are certain aftermarket ones that come with x2 DVI slots, too.

My question, though, is whether a 980 with only one DVI slot would be able to output 144Hz to both monitors. From what I've read, only DVI can do 1080p 120Hz, and HDMI can't. So if I want two 144Hz monitors, does that mean I need a 980 with x2 DVI slots, or am I misinformed about which cables can carry a 120Hz signal?

Solution
If you're getting 2 of the same monitors, and they both have DisplayPort, just use DisplayPort on both of them. Your graphics card has 3 all together, and DisplayPort can go all the way to 144Hz. DVI can only go to 120, last I heard.

Brillis Wuce

Distinguished
Only DVI Dual link can achieve those kind of frame rates. If your video card only has one DVI, chances are its Dual Link.

However, DisplayPort can go to the high rates too, and your video card probably has several. Make sure your monitors have DisplayPort.

Displayport also supports 120hz at 1080p. Plug one monitor into DVI and the other into displayport.

It's not a matter of being able to push a certain "hz". It's just a matter of bandwith. The more pixels that are on the screen, the more data the cable has to carry at a given refresh rate. A 1080p screen uses more bandwidth than a 720p screen if both are at the same refresh rate.

Cheers!

jthamind

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
So if i have a GTX 980 with only one DVI slot, and I use dual link DVI for one monitor and DisplayPort for the other, will both monitors have pretty much the same output? I'd only be gaming on one monitor, so I could use the DVI slot for that one, but when I'm not in a game I don't want my dual desktops looking weird or different because of different connections.

Brillis Wuce

Distinguished

As you can see from my setup, I have three 1920x1200 monitors, of which 2 are DisplayPort, the other being Dual Link.

You'll notice zero difference.

Brillis Wuce

Distinguished
If you're getting 2 of the same monitors, and they both have DisplayPort, just use DisplayPort on both of them. Your graphics card has 3 all together, and DisplayPort can go all the way to 144Hz. DVI can only go to 120, last I heard.

Solution

There is no "max hz" on DVI. Like I already said, it's just bandwidth. DVI can push 144hz @ 1080p easily. I'm pushing 108hz @ 1440p right now over DVI, and the limiting factor is the monitor itself, not the cable.

It doesn't matter if one monitor is connected by DVI and one is connected by displayport. In fact, when you're gaming on 3 monitors from 1 video card, you must have at least one of the monitors connected with displayport and at least one with DVI.

Brillis Wuce

Distinguished

Why would you not be able to use the 3 DisplayPorts?

On cards with less than 3 of one type of port, you must use at least one. On the 980's that have 3 displayport sockets, you could use all 3 displayports. Point is, it doesn't matter.

Since you'll probably have a dual-link DVI cable with the monitor anyway, it's a waste to buy 3 displayport cables.

TRENDING THREADS