Do you need to disconnect an HDD with data on it when re-installing Windows 8.1?

UserTC

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014
Hi!My computer has an SSD that is used for the OS and an HDD that is used for storage.When I installed Windows 8.1 I disconnected the HDD to prevent stupid Windows from installing boot files on the hard drive.Question:If I need to re-install 8.1 do I have to disconnect the HDD again to get a perfect install?Considering that my HDD has stuff on it will Windows still try to place its boot files in my hard drive?Thanks!

Solution
Hey there, UserTC!

Short answer: Yes! Long answer: You won't be able to escape the booting issues after an OS confusion has occurred. The best way to keep your data drive safe is to have a back up somewhere else and to always disconnect it from the system when re-installing the OS on another storage drive.
Actually, regardless of whether or not the secondary drive has data on it, the way to avoid OS confusions with Windows is to have only the installation media and the intended OS drive connected to the system.

Good luck! Hope I was helpful! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, UserTC!

Short answer: Yes! Long answer: You won't be able to escape the booting issues after an OS confusion has occurred. The best way to keep your data drive safe is to have a back up somewhere else and to always disconnect it from the system when re-installing the OS on another storage drive.
Actually, regardless of whether or not the secondary drive has data on it, the way to avoid OS confusions with Windows is to have only the installation media and the intended OS drive connected to the system.

Good luck! Hope I was helpful! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

UserTC

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014
Thank you for your quick replies and for being so helpful!I really thought that the data on the HDD would prevent Windows from putting anything on that drive.Guess I was wrong.Will Windows automatically recognize my HDD and data when I hook it back up?

Yes, it should be able to recognize the secondary drive and the data should be accessible as well after the clean install. Though, if you have any software on the HDD, I'd recommend you to re-install it afterwards.
Here's a pretty detailed tutorial about Windows install and optimization when having an SSD and an HDD:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Best of luck! Glad we could help you! :)
SuperSoph_WD