Question Do you need to reformat after a Motherboard change even if it's the same model Motherboard?

Thing5000

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
I have had my current one (ASUS P8Z77-V LX) for years but I recently ran into issues with needing more RAM. I got more, a kit that went to 32gb with 4 sticks. Long story short, Bent CPU pins and likely other things stopped the 2nd and 4th slots from working.

I bought another motherboard of the same model and tried using that. I got the full 32GB in the bios and in CPUZ and Speccy when I got it working, but it has severe stuttering & runs very badly...

So now to the question. Do I need to reformat to get the best result? I assumed seeing as it's the same board I wouldn't need to...

Any help is appreciated.

punkncat

Dignified
Ambassador
I wouldn't think you should have to reformat, but it might not be a bad idea to check your base level drivers such as chipset/SATA/etc. It may also be a good idea to check and possibly revisit a BIOS flash update, if needed. If the board is even a different revision than the one it replaced (in spite of same model) there could be some differences that the driver loads from the other mobo aren't liking now.

Reactions: rickypicky5

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS