[SOLVED] Do you need to reformat after a Motherboard change even if it's the same model Motherboard?

Thing5000

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
I have had my current one (ASUS P8Z77-V LX) for years but I recently ran into issues with needing more RAM. I got more, a kit that went to 32gb with 4 sticks. Long story short, Bent CPU pins and likely other things stopped the 2nd and 4th slots from working.

I bought another motherboard of the same model and tried using that. I got the full 32GB in the bios and in CPUZ and Speccy when I got it working, but it has severe stuttering & runs very badly...

So now to the question. Do I need to reformat to get the best result? I assumed seeing as it's the same board I wouldn't need to...

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
I wouldn't think you should have to reformat, but it might not be a bad idea to check your base level drivers such as chipset/SATA/etc. It may also be a good idea to check and possibly revisit a BIOS flash update, if needed. If the board is even a different revision than the one it replaced (in spite of same model) there could be some differences that the driver loads from the other mobo aren't liking now.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wouldn't think you should have to reformat, but it might not be a bad idea to check your base level drivers such as chipset/SATA/etc. It may also be a good idea to check and possibly revisit a BIOS flash update, if needed. If the board is even a different revision than the one it replaced (in spite of same model) there could be some differences that the driver loads from the other mobo aren't liking now.

Reactions: rickypicky5
Solution