Question Do you perceive slightly more judder / stuttering in bigger monitors as compared to smaller displays like mobile and laptop?

vikaskumar2299

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
I bought a new 24" Dell monitor (FHD 60Hz). And I'm using it with my laptop (FHD 60Hz). Now I have found myself in a big dilemma. I have started doubting the monitor might be faulty. This is why:

I am watching some movie trailers on all my devices - phone screen, laptop screen and this new 24" monitor. I have never used such a big monitor. Used laptop only for movies and videos.

Now, whenever I watch same movie trailer on YouTube (which I guess are 23 or 30 FPS videos) on this monitor, I feel like there is slightly more judder / stuttering (I mean the effect when we get when there's lack of frames so video isn't smooth) in the drone shots or in camera panning scenes of landscapes (felt no difference in all other scenes and movements) . It's not significant or causing any strain on eyes. But I just feel the same video is tiny bit more smooth on phone and laptop screen.

However, when I tested with 60 FPS videos, I couldn't find any difference in how I perceived them on each display. They looked equally smooth no matter what was the content and camera motion inside the video. Further, I noticed no problems at all in all other activities like scrolling or whatever I did on this new monitor.

So I am thinking maybe the monitor is faulty? Or maybe it's just how I am perceiving the video experience on a big monitor?

Also, how likely a monitor would have such a hardware fault that causes panning/drone shots appear tiny bit less smooth in low fps videos? Should I get a replacement?

vikaskumar2299

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Model to your Dell monitor? How is the panel tethered to your system? Make and model of your display source(discrete or integrated GPU)?

Model is Dell S2421HN 24". I am using HDMI cable which came with monitor. You mean the hardware? It's the Inspiron laptop from 2016. It has igpu (i7 8550u) and 940mx graphic card. But for videos, igpu is used. 940mx disabled.

Now, whenever I watch same movie trailer on YouTube (which I guess are 23 or 30 FPS videos) on this monitor, I feel like there is slightly more judder / stuttering (I mean the effect when we get when there's lack of frames so video isn't smooth) in the drone shots or in camera panning scenes of landscapes (felt no difference in all other scenes and movements) . It's not significant or causing any strain on eyes. But I just feel the same video is tiny bit more smooth on phone and laptop screen.
Almost certainly the laptop causing this. Are you displaying on both the external display and the laptops internal screen at the same time? If you are, output to only the external monitor and see if that improves things.

vikaskumar2299

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Almost certainly the laptop causing this. Are you displaying on both the external display and the laptops internal screen at the same time? If you are, output to only the external monitor and see if that improves things.

No, I tried both methods. Used only external too. I think it didn't make difference. But again like I said it might be just that I am feeling it like that. Or maybe you are right laptop might cause issue. But I have no good evidence. Maybe other people won't feel like I am feeling. I have requested for return of monitor.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
If I may add, I also feel the same thing going from 15 inch laptop to a 22 inch monitor (and even all the way to 42 inch screen). The 15 inch laptop is smoother compared to the 22 inch monitor when playing 30 FPS videos that have "panning shots", and the "stutters" look even more noticeable on the 42 inch TV screen. This isn't limited to videos, even Windows animations look less smooth the larger the screen. I simply learn to live with it, and after some time I kind of forgot about it.

The 22 inch monitor / 42 inch TV has been connected to all sorts of devices and they both exhibit the same juddering effect, so the problem isn't from the devices that is powering the screens.

I doubt it's an actual stutter though, I think it's just something to do with screen size / sitting distance / or the fact that I'm already used to 15 inch screens for too long.

Reactions: vikaskumar2299
No, I tried both methods. Used only external too. I think it didn't make difference. But again like I said it might be just that I am feeling it like that. Or maybe you are right laptop might cause issue. But I have no good evidence. Maybe other people won't feel like I am feeling. I have requested for return of monitor.
I've encountered something similar before with my laptop where everything has a slight lag to it including video. I think in my case it was running both screens together that caused it. Excluding TV's I've never found a larger monitor to be less smooth than a smaller one.

I run a desktop with the same monitor so it was quite clear to me something wasn't right.

vikaskumar2299

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
If I may add, I also feel the same thing going from 15 inch laptop to a 22 inch monitor (and even all the way to 42 inch screen). The 15 inch laptop is smoother compared to the 22 inch monitor when playing 30 FPS videos that have "panning shots", and the "stutters" look even more noticeable on the 42 inch TV screen. This isn't limited to videos, even Windows animations look less smooth the larger the screen. I simply learn to live with it, and after some time I kind of forgot about it.

The 22 inch monitor / 42 inch TV has been connected to all sorts of devices and they both exhibit the same juddering effect, so the problem isn't from the devices that is powering the screens.

I doubt it's an actual stutter though, I think it's just something to do with screen size / sitting distance / or the fact that I'm already used to 15 inch screens for too long.

I guess I am not alone then :D And yes, I noticed it in Windows start menu. The start menu animation looked tiny bit smooth on laptop. It's strange because both laptop screen and external monitors are using same hardware which is laptop.

I guess I am not alone then :D And yes, I noticed it in Windows start menu. The start menu animation looked tiny bit smooth on laptop. It's strange because both laptop screen and external monitors are using same hardware which is laptop.
I don't suppose you have a desktop available to try? I know what you mean with the start menu animation not being quite right, you'll probably find dragging windows not smooth either. To me though this just sounds like a latency issue with the laptop.

vikaskumar2299

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
I don't suppose you have a desktop available to try? I know what you mean with the start menu animation not being quite right, you'll probably find dragging windows not smooth either. To me though this just sounds like a latency issue with the laptop.

Uhm yeah I don't have desktop right now. Very interestingly, I found this thread. Some comments there actually mention that larger display irrespective of resolution may appear to have more judder. They didn't give evidence but I think there is some truth in how we perceive video on bigger displays? https://www.avsforum.com/threads/judder-difference-on-4k-vs-1080p-why.2663577/

Uhm yeah I don't have desktop right now. Very interestingly, I found this thread. Some comments there actually mention that larger display irrespective of resolution may appear to have more judder. They didn't give evidence but I think there is some truth in how we perceive video on bigger displays? https://www.avsforum.com/threads/judder-difference-on-4k-vs-1080p-why.2663577/
I wouldn't know if larger displays are perceived to have more judder than smaller ones by virtue of just being larger but I am sceptical. Larger LCD panels tend to have slower pixel response times than smaller ones, TV's also have a lot of post processing going on which monitors don't have, they are quite often VA panels rather than IPS which is more common for computer monitors. All of which can make a big TV appear less smooth than a smaller monitor.

I've always found my laptop to be smoother on the internal display than an external one, but my desktop has never exhibited the same issue. The size's of the screen's your talking about aren't big either which is why I still think it's most likely the system itself causing it and not the display.