do you really need it ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Nice rig cyphor, but I'd have to see a pic of the all 3 vid cards together, I highly doubt you ordered a 3rd one to point and laugh at it :wink:

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
becuase war, money, technology and politics all go hand in hand........
oh boo frickety hoo! you know what? japan lost the war and they are a massive producer of technology today. it doesn't mean much..
this is just a rant now.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I think a good point to make following what you said is that sometimes the best of intentions has the worst of consequences.

you mention china, and it is interesting that we were "backing" china after ww1. Ya, I know... it seems weird, but we caused britan to really piss off japan and that was one of many contributors to ww2. Of course china is anything but an ally now...

the U.S. has "backed" many... saddam, the taliban to name two recent problems that we thought would be allies. There is no doubt that ww1 had MANY undercurrents of politics that were "shady". IMHO ww1 lead directly to ww2. The aftermath of ww2 is what we were dealing w/ in Korea and VietNam, among other places. With the growth of (what stranger calls) bloodlusting ppl, it is tough to see a clear cause anymore like back then. Ya, there are shady politics still, but it is much muddier than before.

Even looking on the surface of the magnanimous claims that all govts make it is tough to swallow that it will have the idealistic affect that they claim... more often then not it is chaos.

maxxum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
IMHO ww1 lead directly to ww2. The aftermath of ww2 is what we were dealing w/ in Korea and VietNam, among other places. With the growth of (what stranger calls) bloodlusting ppl, it is tough to see a clear cause anymore like back then. Ya, there are shady politics still, but it is much muddier than before.

It’s common knowledge actually, at least for historians. Many revisionists want to blame all the worlds’ ills on the U.S. when most can be traced back to France, England, Spain and Portugal. The U.S. if fairly young and was an isolationist for a long time. Most of the worlds’ problems were already here when we came along, so it’s a little arrogant for other nations to start blaming us.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
IMHO ww1 lead directly to ww2. The aftermath of ww2 is what we were dealing w/ in Korea and VietNam, among other places. With the growth of (what stranger calls) bloodlusting ppl, it is tough to see a clear cause anymore like back then. Ya, there are shady politics still, but it is much muddier than before.

It’s common knowledge actually, at least for historians. Many revisionists want to blame all the worlds’ ills on the U.S. when most can be traced back to France, England, Spain and Portugal. The U.S. if fairly young and was an isolationist for a long time. Most of the worlds’ problems were already here when we came along, so it’s a little arrogant for other nations to start blaming us.
Nobody really cares about that anymore, since Europeans (especially French) will never own up to their F*ck ups (ex. France and UK blaming Germany for WW1) and since it's a lot easier than admitting falsehood. However, I think a lot of it is true when you look at the fact that the US has been anything but isolationist in the last 50 years. Sure, we did innitiate Vietnam like the French did, but we chose to join in and send a million+ troops.

Damnit, I wasn't supposed to get involved in the politics of this!

DaddyLyuLyu

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Hi, I'm new to this forum but here are my two cents...

I agree with the comment that it's not what you have but how you use it. I have tremendous respect for those who can maximize their existing hardware and push the limits beyond using traditional means. My respect for those who can fork out thousands of dollars in new hardware every few years is a different kind of respect - one that admires 1.) Their earning power 2.) their ability to aquire, however they do it, a large sum of money and 3.) get really lucky and have that much saved up to buy a kick ass machine. I respect both type of people and mentality but the one that has my admiration the most are those DIYers who use whatever mean to extend the life of their hardware or make it better using what they have at hand.

For example, I have an older setup:

My Rig:
CPU - P4 3.2 OC'd to 3.9 Northwood w/ HT
MOBO - Abit IC7-Max3 w/ OTES
RAM - 2GB PC3200XL Pro XMS
VIDEO - Sapphire 9700 Pro Ultimate Edition
HD - 3 x 80GB Hitachi SATA
DVD - 16x Lite On
DVDRW - NEC 3550a Dual Layer
CASE - Chenming BX1040 Black
PSU - Aspire 520 Watt

But, as you can see, the CPU is OC'd quite a bit using just air on a Zalman all copper cooler. I have a friend who spent 2K on a brand new, custom-built machine - dual core this, raid that, GTX this, and blah blah blah.....It's a nice machine and the benchmarks show it. I'm sure it's faster, but whenever we turn our machines on at the same time, Windows XP load for me in less than 20 seconds. The blue bar doesn't even hit the half way mark before Windows loads. He has dual Raptor 74GB in RAID0 and his Windows, no joke, takes at least 3-4 bars before it loads. I understand that is just one small example. However, my machine is almost 3.5 years old. I spent probably half of what he spent. If you have a TRUE need for kick ass hardware, by all means, get it. But if you get hardware for bragging rights, well, so be it. Just be prepared to take out a second mortgage/load to fulfill your undying thirt for the latest and greatest. Eventually, IMO, your desire to have the best will die down and again, IMO, you will look back and probably wonder why you didn't listen to others who warned you against such uncensored spending and mentality.

It's not what you have, it's how you use it. Take it or leave it. That's my two cents.

TTFN

maxxum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
ak47is1337,

Can you give me an example?

Saddam is a typical one thrown on the U.S. (that we armed him). Well, Monday morning quarterbacking aside, we really never knew what he was going to do. Sure, we knew he was brutal, but so were many of the governments of that time. The UK can be linked directly to his ascension through their policies and guidance of Iraq. When the U.S. helped Iraq (Saddam) was in direct relation to Iraq defying OPEC and selling the U.S. oil during the embargo. Saddam later thought, hey, maybe the U.S. will look the other way when they tried to re-unite Iraq (UK split up Kuwait btw). Saddam was also the enemy of Iran. Oh, its even more complicated than that, but just saying it’s the U.S. fault is total crazy or has an agenta.

Lord-Ilpolazzo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
It kinda bothers me how people are throwing money away just to have the best thing out there and brag about it . The question is what do you really need ? Do you need an FX-60 or Pentium EE just to play games ... Not to mention dual 500+ $ video cards ....
Just buy something moderate . It'll be obsolete in 1-2 years time anyway , no matter what you buy.
Go with a A64 Venice core , and OC it and that's that . Cheapest are just over 100 $ . Get a 100-150 $ video card and deal with it for a year or two . Then you can buy something new .
You got extra money ? Give it to charity and remember there are many people that can't even afford a PC . And no , despite of what you think it's not always because they don't work as hard as you/your parents and that's why they don't have the money .
Please consider this the next time you go out and spend thousands of $ for stuff which in a couple of years time is only going to worth hundreds .

hmm i kinda c what ur gettin at here but if people wanna burn money on whatever thats up to them. As was mentioned its no different really that spending the money on other interests and hobbies.

What dose piss me off though is all these posts that start along the lines of
"iv just spent x thousand dollars on my new "rig" can u tell me if its any gd"

And they then go on to list an immense system.. this is just annoying.. disguised bragging.. u blatently know u prety much got the best.. ur just rubbing it in.

i only assume its some sense of insecurity or sumthin

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
ak47is1337,

Saddam is a typical one thrown on the U.S. (that we armed him). Well, Monday morning quarterbacking aside, we really never knew what he was going to do. Sure, we knew he was brutal, but so were many of the governments of that time. The UK can be linked directly to his ascension through their policies and guidance of Iraq. When the U.S. helped Iraq (Saddam) was in direct relation to Iraq defying OPEC and selling the U.S. oil during the embargo. Saddam later thought, hey, maybe the U.S. will look the other way when they tried to re-unite Iraq (UK split up Kuwait btw). Saddam was also the enemy of Iran. Oh, its even more complicated than that, but just saying it’s the U.S. fault is total crazy or has an agenta.

We were idiotic to give the Taliban weapons they only used against us. Also, we supported the Chinese communists then turned on them which totally destabilized that region. Also, we used to support Iran and its very abusive dictator Shah, which also turned on us, and now its people hate us because of it. Also, we supported Saddam in the Iran-Iraq war, and we did nothing when he used poison gas on the Iranians. Now these idiot Republicans wonder why they want nuclear warheads so badly. You have enough reasons?

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
e-peni$ overcompensation i bet... unless they were in the pool, then shrinkage is forgivable and the system can overcome that.
Any f*cking moron can sit and buy an FX60, 2 7900gtx's and 2gigs of ram...
Only a pro can get 50% overclock out of it, or get the same results with half the cash.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
well ya, i was just being funny... trying to keep it light here... oh well.

and earlier you blamed the republicans... you forget that democrats were right along side them going into afghanistan and iraq. Both are crooks... put the blame where it needs to be, on the ppl (us) who vote all politicians in. If we were smart we would start requiring all leaders to be 1. uneducated in political circles, 2. have military experience (so can see how bad it really it) and 4. actually be held accountable for all actions if they are even remotely connected. (no passing the buck)

where is #3 you ask? that is the one reserved for anything we think of later on. (i figure if they can do that with laws, we can do it w/ their jobs) ;)

e1000

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
there were some rather uninformed comments after my previous reply.

first off, it was said that greedy corporations only go to other countries because of the substandard pay there..... ok, so does that mean that the countries would be better off if no "greedy" corporation decided to move there and create hundreds (or thousands) of jobs. The money saved from the inexpensive labor by the corporation is also saved by the consumers (in whatever country). Immagine if all computer products were made in the USA and Japan where most of the companies are based.... no third world country would ever be alble to afford IT equipment then.

is it better to create jobs in third world countires, or throw money at them and cross the fingers hoping to improve the quality of life.

as they say. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

and, please inform yourselves on economics before you attack my statements.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Ak, First off we did not give weapons to the Taliban. We gave weapons to the mujhadeen. Some of the mujhadeen later became Taliban. Secondly, world politics is extremely ugly, dirty, and disgusting. We NEVER supported the chinese communists, we supported the nationalists. If you point to World War II as an example, the support was not given to the communists, but the China as a whole during their resistance to Japanese occupation. And your comment about idiot republicans discredits anything you would have to say, for two reasons, one, the majority, democrats included, signed approved the war on Iraq, two you seem to be very outdated with your info as, Saddam is no longer in power, and we were all duped. I have some advice for you. 1) Watch the history channel and read some history books. 2) Keep any perjorative comments about a political party to yourself, as calling a democrat, or republican an idiot for the sole reason being of your own political standpoint, is just, for lack of a better word, idiotic.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I don't respect this kind of thing. If you have a problem with how someone spends your money, it doesn't need to be said. it's not your business whether someone wants an awesome comp and you want your mediocre pos. Have fun playing at 800x600 on cod2.

Well I was just trying to point out something . It's not my problem if you need a cool PC to play :roll: . I get serious work done ( programming ) on my Athlon XP system for which I paid 400 E two years ago . For a video card I have an MX 440 , the cheapest I could find .
It's just an idea . There was all that talk about the 100 $ laptop and people spend so much to get 2 , 500 $ video cards , it seams odd .
Sure , the same can be said about people who get million $ home when there are homeless people out there but ... There's a catch . The PC you pay 3000 $ today , you can have for 300 $ in 2-3 years but it's strange how some want the latest all the time . Some need it , while with some I think it's more of a male thing of having the biggest ..... Ghz :lol: .

P.S. I don't even know what COD is , I play Sokoban , look it up and try it . It's a 2D simple game but it actually requires you use your head instead of just the CPU and GPU ;) .

Congrats, you're totally wrong. Have fun with your oversized sega genesis.

No this guy's totally right. Use your head man.
Only upgrade your computer if it needs to be upgraded to meet your demands

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Hi, I'm new to this forum but here are my two cents...

I agree with the comment that it's not what you have but how you use it. I have tremendous respect for those who can maximize their existing hardware and push the limits beyond using traditional means. My respect for those who can fork out thousands of dollars in new hardware every few years is a different kind of respect - one that admires 1.) Their earning power 2.) their ability to aquire, however they do it, a large sum of money and 3.) get really lucky and have that much saved up to buy a kick ass machine. I respect both type of people and mentality but the one that has my admiration the most are those DIYers who use whatever mean to extend the life of their hardware or make it better using what they have at hand.

For example, I have an older setup:

My Rig:
CPU - P4 3.2 OC'd to 3.9 Northwood w/ HT
MOBO - Abit IC7-Max3 w/ OTES
RAM - 2GB PC3200XL Pro XMS
VIDEO - Sapphire 9700 Pro Ultimate Edition
HD - 3 x 80GB Hitachi SATA
DVD - 16x Lite On
DVDRW - NEC 3550a Dual Layer
CASE - Chenming BX1040 Black
PSU - Aspire 520 Watt

But, as you can see, the CPU is OC'd quite a bit using just air on a Zalman all copper cooler. I have a friend who spent 2K on a brand new, custom-built machine - dual core this, raid that, GTX this, and blah blah blah.....It's a nice machine and the benchmarks show it. I'm sure it's faster, but whenever we turn our machines on at the same time, Windows XP load for me in less than 20 seconds. The blue bar doesn't even hit the half way mark before Windows loads. He has dual Raptor 74GB in RAID0 and his Windows, no joke, takes at least 3-4 bars before it loads. I understand that is just one small example. However, my machine is almost 3.5 years old. I spent probably half of what he spent. If you have a TRUE need for kick ass hardware, by all means, get it. But if you get hardware for bragging rights, well, so be it. Just be prepared to take out a second mortgage/load to fulfill your undying thirt for the latest and greatest. Eventually, IMO, your desire to have the best will die down and again, IMO, you will look back and probably wonder why you didn't listen to others who warned you against such uncensored spending and mentality.

It's not what you have, it's how you use it. Take it or leave it. That's my two cents.

TTFN

nice overclock btw. anyone can go buy a cheap iRAM drive or something like that and put his raid raptors to shame.. :lol: $280 extra for a measly ten-twelve seconds difference in boot-up time?? pah....

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
well ya, i was just being funny... trying to keep it light here... oh well.

and earlier you blamed the republicans... you forget that democrats were right along side them going into afghanistan and iraq. Both are crooks... put the blame where it needs to be, on the ppl (us) who vote all politicians in. If we were smart we would start requiring all leaders to be 1. uneducated in political circles, 2. have military experience (so can see how bad it really it) and 4. actually be held accountable for all actions if they are even remotely connected. (no passing the buck)

where is #3 you ask? that is the one reserved for anything we think of later on. (i figure if they can do that with laws, we can do it w/ their jobs) ;)
Yes, sorry if I put too much emphasis on one, they are both f*cking corrupt kleptocrats. It's just like the South Park episode; when you vote, you choose between an a$$hole and a douche.

maxxum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
ak47is1337,

We were idiotic to give the Taliban weapons they only used against us. Also, we supported the Chinese communists then turned on them which totally destabilized that region. Also, we used to support Iran and its very abusive dictator Shah, which also turned on us, and now its people hate us because of it. Also, we supported Saddam in the Iran-Iraq war, and we did nothing when he used poison gas on the Iranians. Now these idiot Republicans wonder why they want nuclear warheads so badly. You have enough reasons?

Oh, it is more complicated than that. You see, yes we armed them, the CIA trained them, but once they kicked the Russian’s out U.S. politics forced us to leave them. Yep, at the time we believed that if we moved in with direct aid Afghanistan would have become an American tool – something Russia would not have tolerated. So, we funneled money through Saudi Arabia into Afghanistan to help them rebuild. This is, SA didn’t do a very good job of putting the money in the right places. People in Afghanistan felt betrayed and abandoned by the U.S. and western countries. Thus began Wahabisum (sp?). Further, surrounding countries (Iran, Pakistan, and India) used Afghanistan as their puppet to further their own aims. The Afghans went through decades of abuse by their neighbors and eventually they blamed all westerners (through religion). Moral of the story; don’t abandon those that you are supporting.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
ak47is1337,

Oh, it is more complicated than that. You see, yes we armed them, the CIA trained them, but once they kicked the Russian’s out U.S. politics forced us to leave them. Yep, at the time we believed that if we moved in with direct aid Afghanistan would have become an American tool – something Russia would not have tolerated. So, we funneled money through Saudi Arabia into Afghanistan to help them rebuild. This is, SA didn’t do a very good job of putting the money in the right places. People in Afghanistan felt betrayed and abandoned by the U.S. and western countries. Thus began Wahabisum (sp?). Further, surrounding countries (Iran, Pakistan, and India) used Afghanistan as their puppet to further their own aims. The Afghans went through decades of abuse by their neighbors and eventually they blamed all westerners (through religion). Moral of the story; don’t abandon those that you are supporting.
Yes, but fighting started up between the factions we united and armed the minute we left. They were predestined to screw us over, plain and simple.

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Man ohhh man have you got it wrong. We came into WWI for the sinking of the Lusitania, We came into WW2 for the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Why was the Lusitania sunk? BECAUSE THEY WERE BRINGING SUPPLIES TO THE UK. WHY DID THE US ECONOMY FAIL in the 1920s? We WERE HOLDING THE GERMAN ECONOMY AFLOAT! AND THE GERMAN GOVERMENT WAS PRINTING SO MUCH MONEY, THEY LITERALLY USED IT AS TOLIET PAPER, so when they went down, we went with them. Yes I have studied the world economy, and yes the world is out to get the US to a point, and last YES WE ARE NOT A PERFECT SOCIETY! but there are many of us who do care about this world.

Look at who was first to the Tsunami Recovery. Look at who was first in the Kasmir Earthquake. My uncle, who is a Board Certified ER Doctor volunteered and went to the Mexico City earthquake in the 80's. How many world disasters has the US helped out in? We PRESENTED the idea of the UN. I don't care if we have control of it or not, but it has no real power with out US MONEY or MILITARY. Let someone else fund it for a change. Now I have yet to scratch the surface, but the world makes enough food to feed every human on this earth! African Warlord's will not let the food come to their people, why? CONTROL. really, think about it.

Last, yes large companies rule the US, and yes many of us have forgotten the moral place of giving to the poor, but when it comes to helping the world, NO OTHER COUNTRY ON EARTH has given more money (to the UK, FRANCE, GERMANY, UN, other international Organizations), supplies (EUROPE was rebuilt using the AMERICAN MILITARY and supplies), and BLOOD (WWI, WW2, etc.) than the Americans for lands OUTSIDE THEIR OWN HOMES! We want our boys home! Almost every US citizen remembers from which land, whether from Europe, Asia, or Africa, their families originated, so they want to protect and help the families and friends they left behind. I really do think this world would be worse off if we pulled back and became isolationist again. I would like to withdraw all outside funding for a 6 month period of time and let the world sink for just a bit, then see who comes back with their hands out asking for more. And you can't say that other countries wouldn't do it either.

Lastly I will admit you were getting close as to who funded the terrorist cell in Serbia, The RUSSIANS did. it was to cause the disolvement of that Hungarian Empire to take land.

This has gone waayyyy too political and I'm getting off my soapbox, lets get back to thinking about technology and what it can do for us. If you want to talk politics again, we can do it outside this post. But me I want to get back to why I liked coming here in the first place, to talk about technology and what it can do for us.