Question Do you reckon this a hardware, or software/driver/monitor issue?

Oct 29, 2023
I recently bought a custom build from a reputable UK PC builder, but whenever I plug my monitors in using two DisplayPort cables I get artefacts on Youtube, and games will crash under load.

Using HDMI, all the issues go away. Even using 1 displayport and 1 HDMI is completely fine.
All the ports on the GPU have been tested by the builders twice now, and it's been give two OCCT Platinum Certificates.

To which now, the builders are now chalking it up to a driver/monitor issue and want to close my support case. Do you think I should let them, and just live with HDMI (which is fine I suppose), or should I push for a replacement GPU and/or a deeper dive into troubleshooting?

OCCT Platinum Certificate
2X Monitor

Example of a Youtube Artefact. It always came paired with game crashes. I can screenshot it on-device.
artefacting1.png

CPU - i73700k
GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming 4070TI
PSU - 850W Corsair Gold
(Specific details are in the OCCT certificate)

dece870717

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
I'd use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), make sure to do it in safe mode, and see if new drivers fix the issue.

If that doesn't, then try lowering the bandwidth requirements of the display so as to see if you simply don't have a cable that supports the full displayport bandwidth or if it's something with the monitor.

If you want to lower the bandwidth requirements you could lower the resolution or the refresh rate or change the output color format to something like 4:2:0 in the nvidia control panel. I mention this because I remember having these strange flickering and green frames randomly appearing during gameplay because I had my chroma subsampling set to 4:4:4 and setting it to 4:2:2 fixed that particular issue. For some reason my display (Tcl75q825) was having issues with 4K 60hz at 4:4:4, the glitching was not so frequent that it really bothered me, but the main issue is I couldn't use HDR unless I turned it down to 4:2:2 which then allowed output color depth to be set to 10 bit and 12bit. All this to say, pushing display bandwidth to it's limit usually causes issues of various sorts.

Oct 29, 2023
Looks like the DisplayPorts are rated for 1.4a.
What type of DP cables are you using? That could be potentially a source.
Hey!
So everything on the monitor side of things is DisplayPort 1.2. I was initially using the cables that came in the monitor boxes (as they're both brand new), but I've also since tried DP cables that I had lying about the house to the same results.

Although I just went to test it today, and I can't seem to replicate the issue, after months of pulling my hair out over it. Either an Nvidia or Windows update fixed it for my monitors, or my Pc was just in a good mood today and it'll break again next week.

Oct 29, 2023
I'd use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), make sure to do it in safe mode, and see if new drivers fix the issue.

If that doesn't, then try lowering the bandwidth requirements of the display so as to see if you simply don't have a cable that supports the full displayport bandwidth or if it's something with the monitor.

If you want to lower the bandwidth requirements you could lower the resolution or the refresh rate or change the output color format to something like 4:2:0 in the nvidia control panel. I mention this because I remember having these strange flickering and green frames randomly appearing during gameplay because I had my chroma subsampling set to 4:4:4 and setting it to 4:2:2 fixed that particular issue. For some reason my display (Tcl75q825) was having issues with 4K 60hz at 4:4:4, the glitching was not so frequent that it really bothered me, but the main issue is I couldn't use HDR unless I turned it down to 4:2:2 which then allowed output color depth to be set to 10 bit and 12bit. All this to say, pushing display bandwidth to it's limit usually causes issues of various sorts.
Hey!

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Nvidia colour controls. The issue was persistent across multiple DDU attempts unfortunately... until, sods law, today when I can't seem to replicate the issue.

I'll test it all again next weekend (to check if today wasn't a fluke), and try the colour settings you mentioned.

I think the thing that's driving me insane the most, is that there's zero information about it online, if it was all fixed by the most recent updates, there's no fix log anywhere I can find.

Hey!

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Nvidia colour controls. The issue was persistent across multiple DDU attempts unfortunately... until, sods law, today when I can't seem to replicate the issue.

I'll test it all again next weekend (to check if today wasn't a fluke), and try the colour settings you mentioned.

I think the thing that's driving me insane the most, is that there's zero information about it online, if it was all fixed by the most recent updates, there's no fix log anywhere I can find.
Here's to hoping 🍺 that it wasn't a fluke and everything is on the up and up now.

Reactions: BitMissing

TRENDING THREADS