[SOLVED] Do you think a wifi dongle would be faster connected to usb 3.0 instead of 2.0 on 40mbps wifi?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Just purchased a new usb 3.0 wifi adapter but pc only has 2.0; do you think adding a 3.0 usb card would improve performance with a 40mbps connection?

Solution
It's possible, and for certain I'd want to remove any bottleneck limitation of USB 2.0 since it is much slower, even in actual throughput, much less theoretical. While you might not see tremendous gains in maximum throughput, the average throughput is likely to be a lot more stable.

It's possible, and for certain I'd want to remove any bottleneck limitation of USB 2.0 since it is much slower, even in actual throughput, much less theoretical. While you might not see tremendous gains in maximum throughput, the average throughput is likely to be a lot more stable.

Solution

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Yes, but a USB 3.0 connection is generally going to be a bit more steady and reliable, with a much higher and less fickle overhead protocol. While it probably won't affect maximum throughput, I've absolutely seen differences in average speeds using 3.0 if it's a 3.0 adapter.
That's encouraging; I've set it up and while internet speed tests show running at my max ISP speed both in 2.4 & 5ghz (avg 10 ping ms) but in Roblox the FPS was very up & down, have a 3.0 usb card coming, hopefully it will average out. Is this wifi adapter.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
That's encouraging; I've set it up and while internet speed tests show running at my max ISP speed both in 2.4 & 5ghz (avg 10 ping ms) but in Roblox the FPS was very up & down, have a 3.0 usb card coming, hopefully it will average out. Is this wifi adapter.
Hm, well no increase in performance with the 3.0, but oddly enough it is running better from a different one of the 2.0 usb. I had it plugged into a rear one now plugged into one in front it's better:unsure:

A front port on desktop working better is very common . Your wifi adapter is sitting very close to lots of metal in the back that blocks the wifi signal.

A USB extension cable tends to also do that because it move the wifi away from the computer.

USB3 vs USB2 on wifi is not something you see on speedtest. More if you compare large file downloads USB3 might show less total time. It may or may not matter unless your internet is much faster than the wifi speeds.