[SOLVED] Do you think is possible to get a decent gaming computer without a good salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
Hi friends, I need your opinion. I badly want a gaming computer to play some games that most of them are not very demanding. I have been unemployed but this week I had a job offer from one employer. The starting salary is low, the overseas equivalent of 16,000£, but will be increased as I gain experience. I don't have any debts, I have savings and I will start working while living with my parents but I ill move in 2 or 3 months.

The games I want to play are strategy games, but most of them not demanding. The most demanding one would be Attila Total War, that will run poorly anyway because of its terrible optimization, others would be Rome 2, Shogun 2, pike & shot campaigns, Ultimate General (as you can see the only demanding ones would be Total War games). I would be happy with a Nvidia GTX 1660Ti or GTX 1070.

Fortunately in my country computers are not expensive and is relatively easy to find gaming computers so there is no need to import from another country (such as US). What's your opinion? I am thinking about split payments to not bleed my credit card, but I have to confess I am a noob/nerd with life in general and I know I will end up paying more money tha need, so any advice would be appreciated.

Solution
On top of what sky said, judging by those games, you don't need anywhere near a 1660ti or 1070.
You can game comfortably on a Ryzen 2400g or 3400g with 8gb of ram and a 500gb SSD with a budget PSU and case.

Assuming you need peripherals, any cheap mouse and keyboard combo will do and a basic 1080p monitor as well.

Judging by what you've said I assume you are in the U.K.

So here's a PCPartPicker list for you to look at.

But as sky said, no need to be in a rush. Paying your bills and getting your financials to be balanced and worked out first is more important.

This build is pretty much ready to rock and has the ability to be upgraded by simply dropping a graphics card into it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5...
This all depends on your living expenses and how much is left after you have payed all your bills.

Computer parts tend to get less expensive with time. So it would be preferable to save until you have enough funds and buy later, than buy immediately with delayed payments later.

In a month or two you'll probably have enough saved for a brand new pc.

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
Yes, seems to be a good idea. Due to the nature of the games, I am committed to a combination CPU + GPU: Intel + Nvidia. I have been advised that for strategy games and Total War IPC and single-core performance prevails over multithreading and number of cores. Do you think next year would be a good year for upcoming hardware? And probably Nvidia low end RTX cards will get less expensive?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
On top of what sky said, judging by those games, you don't need anywhere near a 1660ti or 1070.
You can game comfortably on a Ryzen 2400g or 3400g with 8gb of ram and a 500gb SSD with a budget PSU and case.

Assuming you need peripherals, any cheap mouse and keyboard combo will do and a basic 1080p monitor as well.

Judging by what you've said I assume you are in the U.K.

So here's a PCPartPicker list for you to look at.

But as sky said, no need to be in a rush. Paying your bills and getting your financials to be balanced and worked out first is more important.

This build is pretty much ready to rock and has the ability to be upgraded by simply dropping a graphics card into it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£121.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£83.40 @ Alza)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£60.78 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£42.39 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£46.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus VA229HR 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor (£84.62 @ CCL Computers)
Keyboard: Thermaltake Commander Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard With Optical Mouse (£40.28 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £550.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 11:13 GMT+0000

Solution
Nov 25, 2019
I think it's better to save all the amount of money needed cause <Mod Edit> can happen and you'll end up broke and computer stuff will be more expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.