Do you think my PSU is enough to supply 2x r9 290x dual? if no can I have dual PSU's?

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
this is my current specs and thinking of buying another r9 290x

Vantage Midi ATX PC Gaming Tower

(The cooling system is developed for cooling throughout
4 x Built-in 12cm Fans (3 x Blue LED) will keep your components cool
Water Cooling Ready *not included* )
Processor (CPU)
AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz Socket AM3+ Octo Core

Motherboard
ASUS® M5A97 R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s)

Memory (RAM)
8GB Ripjaws 2100MHZ (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
4GB AMD RADEON™ R9 290X - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
(battlefield 4 edition, free bf4 included)

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply
XFX 650W PRO650W Core Edition.

Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Solution
As a side note. If you are having trouble running all your monitors you can always run one that wont be doing anything major off of your onboard video if your cpu supports it for the time being until you upgrade. Bottom line is I wouldn't get 2 gpus without replacing your mobo and psu. (wouldn't be possible without a new PSU and wouldn't be worth it without a new MOBO) You can upgrade your current GPU but thats the only option I'd suggest worthy of trying.

How many monitors do you run? 4gigs of vram is still a pretty good amount. I'm curious how you need much more than that.

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Don't think so, from what I see the 290x pulls 300watts of power. An AMD processor is also pretty power heavy. 600watts of the PSU would be pulled from the GPUs at full load. I'd go with a 750-800w PSU, maybe even a bit more to be safe.

Edit: yeahh.... about that dual PSU's. I suppose its possible but good luck trying to mount a second PSU in your case. Better off selling your current PSU and replacing it

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

I have a PSU from an old PC that is 220W is that enough? if yes can I run the secondary GPU separately if yes but no can I buy a secondary power supply with more watts and run it separately or its not possible to use 2 PSU?

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

No, those GPUs need 300w. I think its possible to do 2 PSU's but I wouldn't recommend it. How would you mount a second PSU? Also, the 220w PSU is most likely not of high quality.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Not going to happen. Just looked at the motherboard you have it's not made to run 2 cards the 2nd pci slot is just X4

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

It may not be ideal, but the board does say it supports crossfire, even if the second card would only be at X4

never put put 2 psu in a rig ...above all if they are different brand and model

Support for multiple power supply units is often found in server machines, but its purpose is to keep the server running if one of the units fails, not to increase the maximum total power output. Second PSUs can be used to distribute the load if a single unit cannot cope by itself and it is safe to do so as long as any rail is powered by at most one supply. E.g., you can use the second PSU to power the hard drives, but the hard drives must be disconnected from the first PSU.

Indeed there are good reasons for not using multiple power sources in parallel. PSUs are normally switching; they operate by frequently toggling between full-on and full-off. The output voltage is regulated by spending more or less time in the on-state. If load increases, the voltage drops and the feedback controller reacts accordingly.

When two units are installed in parallel, two controllers are hard at work to maintain a stable voltage, but they are unaware of one another. As a result, they may enter a hysteresis loop by consistently overshooting their target. Alternatively, one unit might try to lower the output voltage but fail, because his partner is pushing the output in the other direction.

With a few tweaks, these problems can be avoided. The second PSU can be hooked up to the controller of the first to ensure the output remain stable and diodes are required to avoid one unit from pushing current into the other when both aren't working equally hard. I highly recommend experimenting with this for the sake of learning about electronics (remember, smoke is bad). If you just want more juice for your computer, I suggest you keep both power supplies isolated, or even simpler, get a more powerful unit.

http://superuser.com/questions/681919/using-multiple-power-supplies-in-one-pc

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Your going to end up with a X8 and a X4 card at the best possible to have a X8 and a X1 your wasting money. support means nothing compared to being made to do it.

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

Yeah I agree. It would also throw off even more heat than you already are dealing with in an AMD build with 2 AMD cards that run pretty hot as is. This computer would be an oven lol.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

What difference does this x4 and x8 you speak of make I don't understand what you mean break it down maybe?

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

It affects the speed of the card. Most new boards are running x16 now. The card would work, but not near its peak performance. the higher the multiplier, the better.

You should really upgrade your rig in other ways. A new mobo would be a good idea imo, as well as a new PSU for adding crossfire in the future. I'm sure your GPU handles things fine as it is without crossfire. Rushing to get a new GPU would be a waste without upgrading other components to better support it

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

Selling your 290x for that card would be good if your main problem is running multi monitor set ups. more vRam would really help with that sort of problem, idk how much of an improvement it would have on a single monitor running games.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

I know you get more vram but in terms of frequency speed how come it stays the same when you have dual GPU's? 5000MHZ + 1000mhz overclock shouldn't it be double or something? if thats the case whats the point you can easily convert normal ram to Vram through sharing.

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

I don't believe you can use normal ram as vram, I've never heard of such a thing. What exactly are you trying to achieve? Is your vram speed really your main problem?

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Both Vram and Vram speed and I heard there was a method where your video card used vram shared or something and could steal ram and use it as vram (not sure its true)

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

I did a quick google search and couldn't find any evidence of it being possible. If your problem isn't the GPU's performance, but its vram (trouble running the multi monitors you want to run) a card with more vram would be a huge improvement, without having to use a second gpu. If this is your problem, get the card with more vram.

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
As a side note. If you are having trouble running all your monitors you can always run one that wont be doing anything major off of your onboard video if your cpu supports it for the time being until you upgrade. Bottom line is I wouldn't get 2 gpus without replacing your mobo and psu. (wouldn't be possible without a new PSU and wouldn't be worth it without a new MOBO) You can upgrade your current GPU but thats the only option I'd suggest worthy of trying.

How many monitors do you run? 4gigs of vram is still a pretty good amount. I'm curious how you need much more than that.

Solution

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Sorry for late reply went out, anyway I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor and my secondary is 1600 x 900, problem is that my GPU runs both but sometimes (no correlation) at random times no relations to what I'm doing could be 1 day from now or 4 days my GPU completely dies and non of the functions below work, restart, shut down, reboot, and requires me to switch the power off to restart the pc then it works again but with single monitor and secondary disabled this doesn't happen.
(btw ill give you best solution for helping me out and dedicating your time to me :)

MuchResearch

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Thank ya, glad to help :)

You can try uninstalling the old drivers, and reinstalling them/updating just to be sure its the vram and not a driver conflict as well. Its a possibility and would save you from upgrading to the 8gigs of vram if it is indeed the problem

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

If you are having trouble running all your monitors you can always run one that wont be doing anything major off of your onboard video (THATS A BIG NO AND VERY BAD ADVICE)

TRENDING THREADS