[SOLVED] Do you think stock/prices of GPUs will get back to normal before new year?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build, but this thing with the GPUs is like when I was looking for a PSU before, but worse. Do you think GPU prices are going to get back down to normal and in stock before end of the year?

Solution
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build, but this thing with the GPUs is like when I was looking for a PSU before, but worse. Do you think GPU prices are going to get back down to normal and in stock before end of the year?

No. You'll be lucky if they are back to normal by May. There's many forces working against us:

1. Unprecedented console demand where AMD is contractually obligated to supply chipsets.
  2. Epyc sales are increasing substantially. These are very high margin items
  3. Ryzen 5000 demand is also high. They have the next highest margin
  4. Ryzen mobile in high demand. Still higher margin than GPU chipsets.
  5. Miners sucking up supply of what is left.
  6. AIB's looking at supply getting bought up despite way...

No. You'll be lucky if they are back to normal by May. There's many forces working against us:

1. Unprecedented console demand where AMD is contractually obligated to supply chipsets.
  6. AIB's looking at supply getting bought up despite way over inflated MSRP. No incentive to lower prices.

Solution

6. AIB's looking at supply getting bought up despite way over inflated MSRP. No incentive to lower prices.

Wow, no wonder the 6800/XT was a paper launch.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Yes even last gen stuff is mostly becoming sold out. Everybody tell me no no dont buy wait. Glad I not listen to that. Hearing maybe not return to normal for next summer. Thats much longer than I guess too. Should be fun to see prices normal again.

Yes even last gen stuff is mostly becoming sold out.
I think a lot of this is down to manufacturers not producing many of the last-gen cards in recent months as they focus on ramping up production of the new models instead. There's no point in building up stock of RTX 2080 Tis, for example, when the new cards offer similar performance for around half the price. And that will extend to the lower-end cards in the coming months as well.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
I think a lot of this is down to manufacturers not producing many of the last-gen cards in recent months as they focus on ramping up production of the new models instead. There's no point in building up stock of RTX 2080 Tis, for example, when the new cards offer similar performance for around half the price. And that will extend to the lower-end cards in the coming months as well.

Yes you probably right they sell out stock 3600, 3600x, 3600xt and radeons down to 5500 series it all flying off shelves. Nice to clear out the old stock but takes awhile get new stuff in.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Yes even last gen stuff is mostly becoming sold out. Everybody tell me no no dont buy wait. Glad I not listen to that. Hearing maybe not return to normal for next summer. Thats much longer than I guess too. Should be fun to see prices normal again.
Yep, bought a 1050ti for a Christmas present on sale, didn't hesitate, now is sold out.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know much about all this; you say "when the new cards offer similar performance for around half the price" So, eventually there are newer cards coming that will be less than current one, what cards, like RTX? What would you say a low figure would be, nothing fancy, just with basic ray tracing, not for extreme gaming etc. Something worth waiting for.

I don't know much about all this; you say "when the new cards offer similar performance for around half the price" So, eventually there are newer cards coming that will be less than current one, what cards, like RTX? What would you say a low figure would be, nothing fancy, just with basic ray tracing, not for extreme gaming etc. Something worth waiting for.
That GPU is already out. The new $500 RTX 3070 performs similar to if not better than the last generation $1200 RTX 2080 ti. Hence it is sold out everywhere, because everybody wants one. There is likely to be a cheaper 3000 series RTX released at some point, maybe soon, probably the RTX 3060, some have said 3060 ti. It will probably cost about $400, and still perform very strongly. These are all rumors though, so take it with a large grain of salt.

Reactions: alphacoyle

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I heard miners are back, so I doubt the supply situation will ease before next summer because the miners will be loading up on cards for their rigs. Etherium 2.0 is coming, so they are getting ready to mine the heck out of it.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
That GPU is already out. The new $500 RTX 3070 performs similar to if not better than the last generation $1200 RTX 2080 ti. Hence it is sold out everywhere, because everybody wants one. There is likely to be a cheaper 3000 series RTX released at some point, maybe soon, probably the RTX 3060, some have said 3060 ti. It will probably cost about $400, and still perform very strongly. These are all rumors though, so take it with a large grain of salt.
I see, so the RTX2060 wouldn't be a good buy at 300+ with the 3070 going for $500 and maybe a 3060 as low as $400. Unfortunately I need to get something usable before Christmas:(

I see, so the RTX2060 wouldn't be a good buy at 300+ with the 3070 going for $500 and maybe a 3060 as low as $400. Unfortunately I need to get something usable before Christmas:(
As a matter of fact, the RTX 3060 ti was announced/revealed today, and is available beginning tomorrow. It has an MSRP of $400, and performs very well for the price. But if you need something soon, your best bet is going to be something last gen, in which case an RTX 2060 Super is decent, or a used RTX 2070 Super can both be had possibly for a good enough deal. If you can wait, that is going to be better in the long run though.

Reactions: alphacoyle

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
It may be hard to find super cards looks at the amazon and they sold out only 3rd party pricing for too much. Same with 5700xt and 5600xt. 3060ti look pretty good $400 AIB $470 but most likely sell out instantly. Now maybe worst time if need gpu .

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
As a matter of fact, the RTX 3060 ti was announced/revealed today, and is available beginning tomorrow. It has an MSRP of $400, and performs very well for the price. But if you need something soon, your best bet is going to be something last gen, in which case an RTX 2060 Super is decent, or a used RTX 2070 Super can both be had possibly for a good enough deal. If you can wait, that is going to be better in the long run though.
I can wait; I see the 3060ti out today $400, but while I really like the idea of having ray tracing, is it practical to get such a powerful card if I don't do a lot of gaming? My build is a HTPC so am thinking wouldn't a 200w card be using quite a bit of juice just being there?

I can wait; I see the 3060ti out today $400, but while I really like the idea of having ray tracing, is it practical to get such a powerful card if I don't do a lot of gaming? My build is a HTPC so am thinking wouldn't a 200w card be using quite a bit of juice just being there?
That is a different issue, that hasnt been discussed yet. What are the rest of the specs for the PC this is going into? What are you going to be doing on it? You might not need something new, and a older gen card will be just fine for you.