[SOLVED] Do you think stock/prices of GPUs will get back to normal before new year?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build, but this thing with the GPUs is like when I was looking for a PSU before, but worse. Do you think GPU prices are going to get back down to normal and in stock before end of the year?

Solution
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build, but this thing with the GPUs is like when I was looking for a PSU before, but worse. Do you think GPU prices are going to get back down to normal and in stock before end of the year?

No. You'll be lucky if they are back to normal by May. There's many forces working against us:

1. Unprecedented console demand where AMD is contractually obligated to supply chipsets.
  2. Epyc sales are increasing substantially. These are very high margin items
  3. Ryzen 5000 demand is also high. They have the next highest margin
  4. Ryzen mobile in high demand. Still higher margin than GPU chipsets.
  5. Miners sucking up supply of what is left.
  6. AIB's looking at supply getting bought up despite way...

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Oh I think of doing htpc build. Wait until great drought over so can buy a couple parts. Dunno much about the htpc but dont want go overboards. Right now using the laptop and external hdd it do ok. :)
For the most part pretty much the same as regular pc build; I have a shelf that my surround system etc sits on so space was a factor, before this build I just used Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF can pick them up on eBay for under $100, I've used my laptop before that for awhile, probably much the same. With the new i3 only $100 I think the whole build came in under $600--and that's because I went with a higher end PSU and mobo--wanted one with optical digital in a itx factor--my surround system is old, in retrospect I think the sound from the optiplex rca was comparable, just wanted to know what the digital audio would sound like. And this cube case fits on the shelf and will accommodate full size GPU--that was other reason. Only thing would've done differently was to went with SSD instead of Barracuda hdd, when ac is off can hear it across the room, no biggie but SSD would've been better.

Reactions: HappyTrails

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Was until now htpc is going to be doing triple duty; adding gaming to the list; was planning on that when built, is why the cube case for full size card. Otherwise, yeah the igpu is great.

Last edited:

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Was until now htpc is going to be doing triple duty; adding gaming to the list; was planning on that when built, is why the cube case for full size card. Otherwise, yeah the igpu is great.

Triple is good more use better utilize. Consider this as well and its the good idea but for me not sure it would work out as a good plan. Prefer run media in jukebox fashion and cast to tv's Maybe it primitive compare to some others setups but I really like it. Took me the long time to sort it out . Thinking how make the htpc work for me its difficult :)

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Triple is good more use better utilize. Consider this as well and its the good idea but for me not sure it would work out as a good plan. Prefer run media in jukebox fashion and cast to tv's Maybe it primitive compare to some others setups but I really like it. Took me the long time to sort it out . Thinking how make the htpc work for me its difficult :)

It's really very simple, if you have a desktop pc or laptop with hdmi out just plug the hdmi into your tv/monitor log into whatever streaming device you're using, or pull up whatever movie you have downloaded and it'll be on your screen, have a wireless keyboard/mouse and can scroll shows with mouse, search with keyboard. If you hold down the ctrl key while scrolling mouse you can enlarge/reduce image size on monitor/tv; for me with a 43" monitor about 10' away I have a computer desk under it and a shelf above with htpc, surround system etc; but I can sit here on the couch and do, well this; I just enlarge the page a bit. But I know people who cast from their tablets and such, I guess that'd work just as well?

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Sorries not try to derail thread!! :)

So repurpose old pc parts to htpc would be nice just to recycle less waste. Casting is also nice and thinking more about it the more practical option for me. If add a firestick or roku or similar can just cast from laptop and should work pretty good. Only thing I would wonder about is how do HD movies cast is that connection fast enough? Have not found out yet. Only casting 1080p levels would think this is manageable.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Sorries not try to derail thread!! :)

So repurpose old pc parts to htpc would be nice just to recycle less waste. Casting is also nice and thinking more about it the more practical option for me. If add a firestick or roku or similar can just cast from laptop and should work pretty good. Only thing I would wonder about is how do HD movies cast is that connection fast enough? Have not found out yet. Only casting 1080p levels would think this is manageable.
Yeah, Roku etc, same diff' if just for watching shows, casting is fine, lots of people do it that way; if you've got a decent internet connection, thinking over 5mbps probably ok; casting just sends the signal to your smart-tv, roku etc, kinda like a remote control. I don't use this method but I believe the actual video transmission is then sent via tv/roku, not coming from laptop if that was what you were wondering.