[SOLVED] Do you trust cheaper SSDs?

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
In a post a little while ago I was given the suggestion of a Crucial MX500.

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-mx500-500gb/p/N82E16820156177

I almost ordered it, then sent a PM to the person that suggested it. While I've been waiting for a reply, I've been browsing different options and it seems that there's much, much better for similar prices. But obviously, at a lower price for more, I'm a little skeptical that they're actually as good.

So do you guys take a seemingly low price tag as a red flag?

Just as one example:
The Crucial MX500 is $70.
The HP EX900 is $77.

However, the EX900 has a write speed of 1.5gb/s... The MX500 only has a write speed of 500mb/s... That sounds too good to be true, which is why I'm asking here.

The writing speed isn't really that important to me for what I need it for, but if I can get 3x the write speed for an extra $7, why the hell not? lol. Plus the MX500 also only has 1.8 million hours for MTF, while the EX900 has 2 million.

Currently I'm planning to go with the MX500 simply because the EX900 feels like it's not nearly as good as they're claiming it is or something. For the price it seems SOMETHING has to be wrong with it...

Is there?

Last edited:
Solution
The Crucial MX500 is SATA III and can be a M.2 or 2.5 SSD. SATA tops out around 560mb/s

The Hp Ex900 is an NVMe X4 M.2 and that is X3 faster.

There is a huge difference between the two. Quality-wise neither are low or high end.

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Crucial isn't the one that's too good to be true... It seems about right for the price.

I'm asking if anyone knows if things that run 1gb/s+ for a similar price are all trash? For example, the HP EX900?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
The Crucial MX500 is SATA III and can be a M.2 or 2.5 SSD. SATA tops out around 560mb/s

There is a huge difference between the two. Quality-wise neither are low or high end.

Reactions: Mooons
Solution

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014

So you're saying that the EX900 stats are correct? For 7 dollars more I can get 3x faster by buying the EX900 instead and there's seriously no catch? It's not designed to break the day the warranty ends or anything shady like that?

EDIT: Yeah, the website I was looking at for MTF > Lifespan had a post saying it's not as simple as math and hours, so the post I was using to figure it out didn't know what they were talking about.. So I just deleted that part of the msg. lol.

Last edited:
MTBF is a commonly misunderstood spec.

An MTBF of X million hours means that in a batch of N drives, one would expect a failure rate of 1 drive every X/N hours.

For example, if the MTBF is 1 million hours, then for a batch of 1000 drives, the failure rate would be 1 drive per 1000 hours. For a batch of 100 drives, the failure rate would be 1 drive per 10,000 hours, and so on.

The MTBF falls as the drives age.

Last edited:

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB SATA III = $71
HP EX900 M.2 500GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe =$96

I don't see a NewEgg listing for $77 :unsure:

This is also a solid option.
WD Blue™ SN550 NVMe 500gb $69

I do NOT use Newegg... That's the MX500 link that someone else gave me when they suggested it. I built 2 PCs about 6 years ago, received 4 DOA HDDs from newegg in a row, finally got them somewhere else. Last November when I built this PC, they listed a motherboard as Ryzen 3rd gen ready... It was not.. And that's what I get for going back after swearing off them 6 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B2ZVJ5F/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
NewEgg is a marketplace just like Amazon, you will find that most of the sellers that list on NewEgg also list on Amazon and eBay. I've ordered from all three along with just about every current supplier and many that have gone OOB. I've had far fewer DOA's from Newegg than Amazon and eBay and that is with 15 years of running a shop that ordered something 10K-25K in stock a month.

To each is his own :spamafote:

As far as Ryzen goes you always had to be inclined to ask questions upfront like "What BIOS does that ship with" because every supplier had issues in that aspect.

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
As far as the motherboards, the item was sold and shipped by newegg. And it claimed to have bios that it did not in the item description. I honestly don't remember about the HDDs.

I've never had issues with items sold and shipped by amazon. Sometimes when using a seller I've received defective stuff, but I've never had an Amazon rep argue with me about it either. lol

Never used ebay for tech stuff. Not that it's any different from buying from a seller on amazon, but I'm just extra paranoid about it.

I know a lot of people use them successfully. I've got a couple online friends that swear by Newegg and have never had a single problem. But with nothing myself but bad experiences, I refuse to use them... Honestly if they had an item A LOT cheaper, I'd consider it.... But would be nervous af until I got it and tested it lol.

TRENDING THREADS