Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sedona

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I recently bought an Acer 13.3" laptop with Pentium N3540 on 4GB memory. It's not a powerful machine, gave it to the kids to watch Youtube videos and do homework on MS-Word and MS-Powerpoint. No gaming.

It comes with 30-days free trial of McAfee LiveSafe. But do I really need to pay for it? Do I need paid internet security suite? I have Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox browser which takes care of annoying pop-up ads and banners. After the 30-days, I'm going to uninstall McAfee and switch to the free no-hassle Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition. Unlike other free antivirus, this one doesn't prompt me to pay for upgrades.

Stellla

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I am using AVStrike trial version currently and its working pretty well. Other than that i have also used Avira which is also good at detecting & removing viruses, malwares,spywares,etc.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I wish I still had Webroot. It was one of the best ones I ever used. I was having a lot of trouble from avast and went to bitdefender. But only a scan option? Really? I went back to avast.

Other than the new Avast, I'm still with SSD and malware bytes, and zero viruses despite me downloading about 100 gigs worth of Operating System isos and a crap ton of other stuff. :p

ccjay80

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I use Avast Free Edition. I have used paid Anti virus software such as Norton and Mcafee and the Avast Free edition seem to be more effective.

vesp3r

Distinguished
Up untill recently i used on-demand scanners, because im usually very careful where i go and what i open (in internet)
Now however i use MSE - i dont think there is much difference between paid and free AV. MSE suits me best, its free, quiet and does a great job cleaning most of the common infections. I also like the simple and user-friendly design

vesp3r

Distinguished
then maybe suggest me something that works the same quiet way... i dont like it when the AV takes control and doesnt let me download certain files or start up a program
Maybe something more manual than automated, and the lighter the better :D

Kaspersky Lab Uncovers More Evidence Linking NSA to Infamous Hackers

Researchers from the Russia-based cybersecurity group Kaspersky Lab have uncovered more evidence tying the United States’ National Security Agency to a shadowy group of hackers.

The hacking collective, dubbed “Equation Group,” must have been sponsored by a nation-state with vast resources in order to operate, Kaspersky analysts assert.

Read More:
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/kaspersky-lab-uncovers-more-evidence-linking-nsa-to-infamous-hackers_032015

vesp3r

Distinguished

tried Bitdefender Free but kinda not liking it. Crashes whenever I start games, also make them lag alot untill it finally crash. No option (as i saw) for manual scan or add exceptions... did not see any quarantine...
Open for suggestions...

Stellla

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I am currently using AVStrike Antivirus for Windows and its working pretty good till now. It is equipped with effective antibot protection, browser tracking blocker, Website safety advisor & other interesting features.

drumrocker365

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Paid. Had my fare share of free stuff. All the free stuff seems good at first, then I always end up with a virus. Since I switched to Bitdefender Anti-virus Plus, I've had no issues.

With that system you have, I bet not even a resource hog, protection software suite will affect your comp.

woolyback

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I've been quite happy with Adaware free, If I get paranoid I sometimes use that housecall.trendmicro online scanner just to doublecheck

G

hey all, I used to use adaware free 11 I believe whichever the latest one is and it seemed to do ok. I never had any issues at all and it had lots of features for a free antivirus. I just didn't like the fact that I had to set up an account to keep using it that was my only complaint as with the rest that require you to do that.
the poorguy

Status
Not open for further replies.