Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

After I installed AVG Ultimate on a business network, it allowed all computers to be seen and what problems they might have also. A tool so that one can check all computers from one computer.

I upgraded to KIS 2016 and it had several problems. Many users in their support forums having the same problems. So, I just switched back to the latest 2015 version. Gonna wait a while till I try the 2016 version again. Till a newer version of 2016 comes out. Kaspersky upgrades the software several times a year it seems. I keep an eye out and upgrade when the new versions come out. Not the first time a new yearly version has had problems.

I tried Bitdefender Total Security free trial and it was treating ASUS AI Suite 3 as an anti-virus program. It forced me to uninstall it before installation. I installed BD and tried reinstalling ASUS AI Suite 3, but problems arose, so I uninstalled the BD trial and reinstalled BD free. This is unacceptable.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

It's all good, mate. I was just saying lol. And yeah, MSe is the same thing as Window's Defender, just a different package; when you break it all down, of course. There's an old Vista spoof video that talked about Window's Defender, and they called it "DCS" (aka Doesn't Catch Shit). It still applies to this day, and always makes me shake my head at their latest "efforts" lmao

Well, at least there's been enough attention brought to the issue. Like I said, while I'm not a huge Kasp lover, they'll be on top of things. They tend to pay a lot of attention to problems, which definitely makes them a viable option for just about any level of user. Unfortunately, given their history of compatibility, I think they would benefit from holding their latest releases a while longer, and releasing the newest versions when they have ALL the bugs fixed. Naturally, that's a very difficult thing to do; however, there are a number of companies who do such things, and the initial release typically goes over better than if they released on time. Look at Rockstar Games, as an example.

Joseph, I think there are a couple issues involved there. Given that it's a monitoring software, BD may have recognised it as an AV due to the way it obtains the information. Filter drivers are how the majority of AV software works, which I'm willing to bet the AI suite works on a similar principle. That may have been the issue. I'd have reported the issue to BD, and seen if there was a patch, or update, they could release for that. That's my personal take on it, but I think it's a relatively easy fix.

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
no solutions.. this is a long as tread almost never ending. I am still a subscriber of Norton, I got some flak from Norton when windows 10 was about to happen, and then was assured over and over again that Norton would be upgraded to handle ten. I have know complaints all runs so smooth, rarely bothered, things sometimes gets squirrely when flash or nvidia wants to do and upload a driver. Fire fox is having lots of trouble with flash crashes all the time.. anybody have a solution?

I am still using Norton. I mean subscribing .. NO issues

After fighting with Bitdefender Total Security free trial and having issues with it not cooperating with Adguard and ASUS AI Suite 3, I decided to try again to run Kaspersky on Windows 10 after the last run with Bitdefender free edition. Last time I installed it along with a fresh install of Windows 10, Cortana searches were not working and that issue was fixed by removing Kaspersky. Now when I reinstalled it, Cortana searches are still working. I think that the issue was having the AV installed before installing Adguard. Now I installed the AV with Adguard pre-installed and the previous issue seems to have been resolved. Now I am happy that I got my good old Kaspersky Total Security back!:)

Alpha3031

Honorable
I'm adding HitmanPro to my list of security software, partially because it's talked about so much here :)

I'm also removing my dashcoin wallet, because it triggers to many false positives.

Edmund55

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
Aye it has to be said that Mse , a free piece of Microsoft software has all the strengths of an anti-virus app without all the nonsense , pop ups , RAM overusage.I was given the advice about three years ago from a friend to delete my protection software and install Mse as it,s functions are simple but very effective for catching that wriiggling virus you seem to have overcomplicated by most protection software installations......A virus cleaning hot iron!

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

I beg to differ but assuming you have common sense when surfing the internet, its fine

Prate_k

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
I use avast, Its safe and there is a free version. The paid version has more features but i think the free version covers all the needed basic protection. Its not irritating with pop-ups and neither does it hog the resources it sits there quietly.. sometimes i even doubt if its working the i just run quick scans... Along with avast i have advanced system care which i think are the only two softwares you need to keep your pc safe ^^.

Prate_k

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Generally speaking linux doesn't need any antivirus programs. But it is recommended if you swap files between windows and linux so the windows partition doesn't get infected and probably for browser protection. I've seen a few but haven't used any. F-secure, comodo, avast just to name a few ^^..
If you want to be sure here is a link about anti virus security on linux:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/avc_linux_2015_en.pdf
I skimmed through it, looks useful.

G

hey all,

well i went back to using avira free as avg free has just gotten to the point of to much crapola that is not needed or wanted in this case. so far avira has only brought it up at the time of install and i haven't seen it any more.
so far it seems to be doing ok and haven't noticed any bad things about it so far. if so i will post back.

life is good.
the poorguy

The_Tester

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
I run Norton, i've been running it since 2009 when I did my last main build (when the fat cutting took place). To be honest I don't think I actually need one as I normally stay away from the... well let's say "ghettos" of the internet lol. But I have had numerous occasions where something I was downloading or transferring was stopped before it even completed and got straight up erased buy norton (followed by a report). I do like the current rendition, it is an extremely light program these days. Barely uses any ram or CPU unless it's doing a scheduled event or routine background scan.

I dunno... When it comes to things like data security and robustness it's one of the very few situation were I don't like the word "free".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS