Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Harley

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
These attacks were also disclosing a vpn connection if you were using any. Kaspersky, Eset, comodo are all investigating these attacks for future product updates.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

KRACK = Vulnerability on your internet router. None of the security software can stop this attack once hacker manage to intercept your network traffics.

Duhk = Vulnerability on VPN connection. Antivirus can stop the connection between C&C server and your computer, but this must be patch on the VPN side.

Bad Rabbit = Ransomware. All free and paid can stop the attack. Avast can stop the bad rabbit ransomware with its behavior blocker and its whitelisting database. In addition, anti-exe such as AppGuard and VoodooShield Free can stop the attack in the first place when it put in lock down mode.

If free one does not guarantee the safety, than paid one doesn't guarantee the safety either. I have been using a lot of paid products ( Bitdefender, Norton, and ESET), and to be honest, there are couple free one out there can perform identical or better than the paid product.

Windows Defender/Avast Free/ ( antivirus ) + VoodooShield ( anti-exe) + Windows Firewall = best free and light configuration.

None of the security software whether paid or free can protect you 100% all the time, but you can expect 90% protection while other 10% is your common sense.

When your computer get infected, malware or virus running on your PC can render all your security software useless.

Ben Harley

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016

Nope. I would not like to agree with that too, I had a free protection program and when WanaCry hit us, It encrypted all my files. Whereas people who had Paid protection, it detected that ransomware and quarantined it.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

You got hit by WannaCry ransomware than that means your common sense is a main problem here. Avast Free and and VoodooShield Free is the best free combo that will performs as good as Kaspersky and other antivirus paid product. The only suite that worth money to invest is Kaspersky.

What free protection you use in the first place? Windows Defender?

So, let say your paid protection fail you, you will say go with the free one instea or spend another $100 on another product? LAWL.

As matter of fact, paid protection will not guaranteed your safety either. So it doesn't matter whether you go free or paid, your common sense is the one you should work on it. Also, I had a lot of friends that don't use no antivirus at all and they managed to keep their PC clean over a decade. What a surprise ehhh?

IF YOUR COMMON SENSE IS NOT GOOD THAN NOT A SINGLE SECURITY SOFTWARE CAN PROTECT YOU. A COMPUTER CANNOT GET INFECTED WITHOUT HUMAN INTERACTIONS.

Ben Harley

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016

I love how people lose their senses when a different opinion is presented to them. They try to attack personally by accusing them of having lack of common sense and etc.

I am totally against Free Protection program. They don't do anything. Paid ones are better and offer real protection.

Ben Harley

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
Be it ESET, COMODO or any other program. Paid versions are updating regularly and their virus, malware and other definitions are updated on weekly basis. I will never recommend using a FREE one.

And do watch your tone boy when you're talking to other members here. This is a forum, people will have different opinions. Try to digest that first!

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017
One Question , outside OS bugs , in which AV is useless to protect against. can one be totally safe without using any protection software if he or she never visits harmful sites and never follows strangers links and never opens emails from strangers ?

rgd1101

Don't

Using any app that use the internet?

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

Most apps today use the internet ... Cloud apps are one of them , and games as well .. so the answer is yes .

rgd1101

Don't

they you got you answer "outside of OS bugs"

Wolfshadw

Titan

The only 100% safe computer is one that has never been in contact with any other computer. Any connection via Ethernet, Wireless, Bluetooth, USB, or disk and the PC security has been compromised.

-Wolf sends

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

Does AV protect you against software vulnerabilities ? All people get hacked from software houses mistakes regardless of what AV software suit they are using. because it allows the software to connect.

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

I understand this very well , but my question is : does it matter at all to have AV if you are careful ? because AV will not protect you against OS/Software bugs and vulnerabilities any ways.

Wolfshadw

Titan

Have you ever accidentally clicked on something? I know I have. Just because you're careful doesn't mean that accidents can't happen. Additionally, there's never any guarantee that the security of even the most honest of sites cannot be hacked or a garbage ad added to a normally safe web site.

Yes, even if you are extremely careful in the sites you visit, it still makes sense to have an up-to-date anti-virus program installed and running.

-Wolf sends

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

Well, if that is what you like to do, than go ahead no stopping you right there. However, I am totally disagreed with your statement " Free one don't do anything."But people are still using them. I guess a lot of people loves free product than spend $$$ on a piece of software that can fail as the free one.

I'm not attack your personality or accusing you of lacking common sense, but I just want to pin point the truth of it. When you think about it, it does make sense that if you got infected that means you need to work on your common sense, and your brain is the true AV, yet you denied the truth. As I stated before, the computer cannot get infected without user interactions, and if your common sense is below average Joe level, no security software can protect you 100% all the time.

joserichardson

Prominent
Sep 28, 2017
Yes, I am using Antivirus. It helps to manage my workstation and secure it from external threats. I am using Deep Freeze and Faronics Antivirus for this. This is a complete solution for administration support team. I guess it is free for first 30 days. Hope this help!

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
I only use Windows Defender as my Antivirus because why not? As far as I've noticed, it doesn't take any resources and it has served me well since the Anniversary update. Perhaps we are only talking about 3rd party Antivirus programs? Then no!

I don't intent on getting a paid 3rd party Antivirus program because it takes way more than it offers in return. That includes money, resources, frame drops when gaming, and it poses a danger to my sanity because of all the things that I've mentioned. I can protect myself, no need for an Antivirus.

However, I do use MalwareFox which is an Anti-Malware. That is because it doesn't take resources like Antivirus programs do, (there is a difference between Antivirus and Anti-Malware programs, don't argue about it.) is cheap, and it still serves as an extra layer of protection in case that I do anything stupid.

As a side note, if you're somewhat of a tech noob, then I would highly recommend getting an Antivirus. Not everyone can protect themselves and that's alright.

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

I've heard about this before and I highly doubt it. I mean, MalwareFox has been around for at least a year or so? Maybe more? I've been using it for at least a few months. If it was indeed copying Zemana, then they would have been sued up to now.

My guess is that something else is going on. Perhaps a partnership? Perhaps they rely on the same engine/API? Anything among these lines? All I'm trying to say is that if MalwareFox was indeed ripping off Zemana, then they would have been sued months ago.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Zemana I'm sure is letting\licensing them to use their interface and scanning engine.
Zemana has been around for a long time.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

Watchdog Anti Malware is another rebranded of Zemana Anti Malware as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.