Do you want a Mac/OSX forum?

• Yes

Votes: 89 58.6%
  • No

Votes: 63 41.4%

• Total voters

randomizer

Champion
There have been two threads I can think of that have requested this now. I want to see how many Mac users actually use the forum to find out if a dedicated Mac/OSX section is viable. Note that I am not interested in how many people don't want a Mac section, as I know that is the vast majority anyway. The "no" option is only there because I can't start a poll with one option. Voting "no" will not affect the outcome.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Aye

*shakes fist*

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
But but, if you attract em with a Mac forum, next thing you know they'll be posting in the "other" forums and confusing us with weird questions and odd problems.

Actually if you clean the monitor screen with some spray and wipe and a damp cloth and then polish the Apple logo they bootup faster.

Seriously though ... it would be good to have a Mac forum area.

That way the FBI can keep an eye on them.

High School Principals seem to favour them and Music and Art Teachers ... all bound for the B Ark.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009

I don't know how you can call mac 'fanthings' when your post is just dripping exaggeration, and bias.

I would like to see a mac forum as well. I run a MBP a long side my Homebuild PC. There's a lot of mac users who have incredible bias when it comes to their computer, but the same is also true for PC users, especially homebuilders. You don't need to generalize an entire population of users based off of you experience with individuals. If I did that I would assume every PC is like you. Burning with hate towards mac users, and totally ignorant of the fact that they can know anything about a computer

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Keep in mind, the kind of people hanging around Tom's are going to be somewhat computer savvy. Apple's soccer mom's will ask questions at the Apple Store and on Apple's (almost useless) forums.

Most of the Mac OS users at Tom's probably know their way around Windows too. I've been around Windows since version 3.0 (that's right, before 3.1) when it wasn't even an OS, just a GUI for DOS. I've been on Mac OS since System 6; and I remember being disappointed that System 7 wouldn't install on my old, used Macintosh Plus. How many of you teenagers were still crapping your diapers while the rest of us ran our computers off of floppy disks?

The anti-Apple bias many of Tom's members have is the only roadblock to Mac OS forums on Tom's. It's completely illogical for Tom's to ignore Mac OS discussion and the lack of a Macintosh forum is a stain on Tom's credibility.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Diapers? Actually, I was selling PCs and Macs back in 1984.

And I'd say what's being discussed here is all in fun. Outside of touchy folks in the OC forum, most here are friendly and rarely sarcastic or demeaning.

The real issue is how much value can be given to Mac users with their hardware by the majority of folks here. And if Mac questions get mixed into the PC forums, that'll cause confusion. So all the "regular" forums will need to be re-titled to be "PC" forums among other things. And I look at this forum from strictly the hardware side - never even visited the OS or other forums.

randomizer

Champion

The forum and the THG main site are, for all intents and purposes, separate entities, so credibility has nothing to do with it. The editors have zero control over what happens here.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
2epq3xu.jpg

bob_vicktor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009

Huzza!
Well said. Why can't more people be understanding and open to new ideas? And incase people haven't noticed, while they may be the most outspoken, mac fanboys are a dying breed. With the advent of Intel Macs that run Windows the majority of Mac owner's own, and regularly use, PCs as well (whether it is Windows or Linux). At the very least people should give respect to Apple for the inroads the have made in the last few years.

@wildwell
I may not have been alive for the beginning of it all, that doesn't mean I haven't experienced it. Most of what I know about computer hardware was learned by building, you guessed it, Macs :eek:. Back in the good old days with the 840av and my personal favorite, the 9600. Even the Molar (AIO G3) was customizable.
When stuff is ten years old, it tends to be cheaper, so my dad made sure my brother and I always had something 'new' to play with, so yeah, I remember booting off of floppies. :kaola:

Viva la IIGS!!!

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
You know, I am torn. On the one hand I think we should allow the mac fans a place where they can discuss their platform, even though I hate that company and the smugness of its fan base. On the other hand, it might actually attract more smug mac fans, which is exactly what I don't want.

I guess, ultimately I should promote a chance for free speech wherever I see one, so I will go ahead and toss in my vote for it too. Hopefully they will have something useful to contribute to the non-mac portions of this forum?

-Zorak

I'm pretty much a Mac hater, and I'll admit it for as long as I can give a logical argument against them. Which will probably always happen, given Apple's demeanor.

That being said, having a Mac forum would be the correct thing to do. The only real reason I don't want one is because, classically, Tom's is a pro-PC site. I don't know if making a Mac forum would be more helpful to those who posted or simply just create a forum of flaming war threads.

etichi

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
sure, but hopefully unruly comments from either side get a time out for posting. I am sick of threads spinning out of control on either side.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
yeah Tom's does seem to have more Windowsists than Macists ... i guess most of the world is still that way when it comes to desktop PCs. fine by me.

although it isnt quite true, i think of Windows as DOS with whatever licensed interface Redmond wants to put over it this year. and i think of Mac as FreeBSD with Cupertino's licensed interface over the top of it. both have Intel Inside ... so to speak.

but people on both sides do seem to get a little too emotional about what amounts to their favorite window manager, if youre approaching it from a Linux standpoint (Mac4Lin anyone? Vixta anyone?).

in the spirit of fairness i'd agree and say, why not include a Mac forum if Tom's is going to include Windows? isnt that just ... an example of plain and simple fairness?

unless Toms wants to go back to being just a hardware site to ignore the loyalists on both sides.

but that would be about as tasty as a sandwich ... without anything in it.

cheers.