Question DOCP not fully working

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
will try bf sleep

can i try higher speed? can it damage the memory/board?

Try as high as you want. Your CPUs IMC and your RAM sets the limits. I doubt mobo will care. I would do 200 mhz increments, see what boots. Of course, this would mean you have to loosen the timings, absolutely the primaries but sometimes also the secondary.
It is not as easy as "I got these timings to work, now I want to run 200 mhz higher", no. Takes more work than that.
What I do is, I set extremely loose timings, like 24-26-24-24 and see what RAM speed I can boot, as high Mhz as I can. Then start tightening. If I can run Fclock that high. I'm not sure if 3000-series has Fclock.

Oct 4, 2021
Try as high as you want. Your CPUs IMC and your RAM sets the limits. I doubt mobo will care. I would do 200 mhz increments, see what boots. Of course, this would mean you have to loosen the timings, absolutely the primaries but sometimes also the secondary.
It is not as easy as "I got these timings to work, now I want to run 200 mhz higher", no. Takes more work than that.
What I do is, I set extremely loose timings, like 24-26-24-24 and see what RAM speed I can boot, as high Mhz as I can. Then start tightening. If I can run Fclock that high. I'm not sure if 3000-series has Fclock.

i try 3200 with same settings, can boot

what preliminary check that can catch error very fast, before doing final test with testmem5?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
i try 3200 with same settings, can boot

what preliminary check that can catch error very fast, before doing final test with testmem5?

I use testmem5 for that too. If it is unstable, you will usually get errors within 2 minutes. Max like 10 minutes if it is borderline. If it takes longer than that to find errors, it is very close to stable, in my experience.
Oh, I think I forgot to mention. tRFC is frequency-dependant. As you go up in speed, tRFC should follow. The nanoseconds (ns) should stay the same but the value you input in BIOS will be higher.

Calculating tRFC is the only thing I use Ryzen Dram Calc for. Under Additional calculators. So the default 390 tRFC your mobo set up for you, that is 260 ns and you said it was a problem. 440 at 3200 Mhz = 275 ns. To me, tRFC either boots or it doesn't. If it doesn't boot, it is too low. So you might get away with 275 ns.
275 ns at 3400 Mhz = 468 tRFC, at 3600 Mhz = 495 tRFC.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021
Hello,

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-LPX-16GB-(2-x-8GB)-DDR4-DRAM-3000MHz-C15-Memory-Kit---Red/p/CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R?utm_source=Future PLC._221109&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=490888_Online Tracking Link&utm_content=Corsair&clickid=y:bR--235xyIWRSQ1ZWxpSpyUkBXmc3jTT7fXM0&irgwc=1
AMD Ryzen 5 3600

My memory is listed on motherboard QVL
But DOCP can not run stable at 3000Mhz,
Always got error on Memtest86 ( Test 7 [Moving inversions, 32 bit pattern )
I had to lower the speed to 2866Mhz to make it passes all test

How to make it run stable at 3000?

Thanks
indigocard

Hello,

Have you tried running the RAM at 2933MHz using DOCP and changing the speed to 2933MHz? Let me know if crashes are gone when at 2933MHz.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021
I use testmem5 for that too. If it is unstable, you will usually get errors within 2 minutes. Max like 10 minutes if it is borderline. If it takes longer than that to find errors, it is very close to stable, in my experience.
Oh, I think I forgot to mention. tRFC is frequency-dependant. As you go up in speed, tRFC should follow. The nanoseconds (ns) should stay the same but the value you input in BIOS will be higher.

Calculating tRFC is the only thing I use Ryzen Dram Calc for. Under Additional calculators. So the default 390 tRFC your mobo set up for you, that is 260 ns and you said it was a problem. 440 at 3200 Mhz = 275 ns. To me, tRFC either boots or it doesn't. If it doesn't boot, it is too low. So you might get away with 275 ns.
275 ns at 3400 Mhz = 468 tRFC, at 3600 Mhz = 495 tRFC.
thank you for that additional calc, i did not know it was there haha

here is my update with 3200Mhz
i put +1 to all primary timing, set tRFC 464/290ns, and 1.38 volt
no error, and it give better score in Aida64, compared to my prev 3000Mhz
so i will keep it for now, until i can tighten the timing and lower the voltage

any next suggestion will be very much appreciated

Oct 4, 2021
Hello,

Have you tried running the RAM at 2933MHz using DOCP and changing the speed to 2933MHz? Let me know if crashes are gone when at 2933MHz.
i never experienced any crash (at least i never suspect the ram if any) , already running default docp for 3 years , i just never care about stability testing back then

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
thank you for that additional calc, i did not know it was there haha

here is my update with 3200Mhz
i put +1 to all primary timing, set tRFC 464/290ns, and 1.38 volt
no error, and it give better score in Aida64, compared to my prev 3000Mhz
so i will keep it for now, until i can tighten the timing and lower the voltage

any next suggestion will be very much appreciated

As I said earlier, try the red numbers, tightening the secondaries. You might be surprised by how much extra perf you get. You might not =)
View: https://imgur.com/a/QzRfAOQ

Also, tRC 56. The calculation is tRP + tRAS = tRC.
tCWL you can usually set to tCL -2 so 14 in your case.
tRTP, try 6 or 8. If no luck, stick to 12. I've had better luck with 8.

If these work for you, I would be happy with the result. Not much else you can tighten.

Oct 4, 2021
why sometimes i got this error when starting testmem5? had to restart windows to make it working again

can i temporary edit the cfg file to 1 cycle for fast test when playing with timing?

Last edited: