Feb 18, 2022
Hi! Sorry if this is not the right thread, but it seemed fitting for the problem that I'm having.

So, I recently upgraded my RAM to 32 GB from a 16 GB kit that I bought about a year ago. I made sure to double check the speed and timings of this new 16 GB (8GBx2) kit so that it matched with the older kit that I already had installed.
The problem is that when I try to setup the DOCP profile or manually change the speed of my RAM my pc shuts down ofr about 3 seconds, then reboots, then shuts down again and the same for about three times before booting.

My specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X (Withstock cooling)
Mobo: Asus B450 F Strix
RAM: 32 GB (8gbx4) Trident Z Neo 3600 CL18
GPU: GTX 1070 8 GB
PSU: Deep Cool DA700 80+ Bronze
Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda's / 2x Kingston 240 GB SSD's
PCIE Extras: USB 3.0 Expansion card /TP-Link Wifi card
Case fans: 3x Deep Cool RF 120 / 1X Case included fan
Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Things that I tried / that are worth mentioning.
  1. Before installing the new RAM and making a fresh install of windows, I disabled my DOCP profile just in case.
  2. After installing the new kit, all four RAM sticks defaulted to 2133 Mhz.
  3. When trying to change the DOCP the problem mentioned happens.
  4. I tried changing the DOCP profile to #1, then to Auto, then manually setting up the RAM speed.
  5. I even tried with lower speeds, such as 2466 and 3200 Mhz, same problem as before.
  6. After all of that I cleared the CMOS and tried again. Nothing.
  7. I don't remember in which try I changed the performance mode on the EZ Setup tab from Normal to Performance. It still made no difference regarding the problem.
At first I thought it'd be a PSU problem, where it couldn't handle those voltages, since I'm not too interested in overclocking I always just let the AI Tweaker from my mobo do the job for me because I'm too scared to brick something by manually changing some values.
I know that sometimes it's just a matter of luck if a pair of "different" RAM sticks will work together as a whole, so, I wouldn't be surprised if I had to deal with 2133 Mhz RAM until the next time I get to upgrade my PC.
Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for bad english.

Solution
Ok. You'll have to do some manual ram overclocking.
Set following ram parameters in BIOS:
DDR voltage 1.35V,
Latencies 18-22-22-42,
Command Rate 2T.
Set frequency to 2133mhz, test.
Increase frequency and test again 2400,2600,2800,2933,3000,3200,3400,3600.
When test fails, return to previous settings that worked.
Ok. You'll have to do some manual ram overclocking.
Set following ram parameters in BIOS:
DDR voltage 1.35V,
Latencies 18-22-22-42,
Command Rate 2T.
Set frequency to 2133mhz, test.
Increase frequency and test again 2400,2600,2800,2933,3000,3200,3400,3600.
When test fails, return to previous settings that worked.

Reactions: ZmbKllr
Solution
Hi! Sorry if this is not the right thread, but it seemed fitting for the problem that I'm having.

So, I recently upgraded my RAM to 32 GB from a 16 GB kit that I bought about a year ago. I made sure to double check the speed and timings of this new 16 GB (8GBx2) kit so that it matched with the older kit that I already had installed.
The problem is that when I try to setup the DOCP profile or manually change the speed of my RAM my pc shuts down ofr about 3 seconds, then reboots, then shuts down again and the same for about three times before booting.

My specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X (Withstock cooling)
Mobo: Asus B450 F Strix
RAM: 32 GB (8gbx4) Trident Z Neo 3600 CL18
GPU: GTX 1070 8 GB
PSU: Deep Cool DA700 80+ Bronze
Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda's / 2x Kingston 240 GB SSD's
PCIE Extras: USB 3.0 Expansion card /TP-Link Wifi card
Case fans: 3x Deep Cool RF 120 / 1X Case included fan
Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Things that I tried / that are worth mentioning.
  1. Before installing the new RAM and making a fresh install of windows, I disabled my DOCP profile just in case.
  2. After installing the new kit, all four RAM sticks defaulted to 2133 Mhz.
  3. When trying to change the DOCP the problem mentioned happens.
  4. I tried changing the DOCP profile to #1, then to Auto, then manually setting up the RAM speed.
  5. I even tried with lower speeds, such as 2466 and 3200 Mhz, same problem as before.
  6. After all of that I cleared the CMOS and tried again. Nothing.
  7. I don't remember in which try I changed the performance mode on the EZ Setup tab from Normal to Performance. It still made no difference regarding the problem.
At first I thought it'd be a PSU problem, where it couldn't handle those voltages, since I'm not too interested in overclocking I always just let the AI Tweaker from my mobo do the job for me because I'm too scared to brick something by manually changing some values.
I know that sometimes it's just a matter of luck if a pair of "different" RAM sticks will work together as a whole, so, I wouldn't be surprised if I had to deal with 2133 Mhz RAM until the next time I get to upgrade my PC.
Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for bad english.

Your problem is a common issue when mixing RAM. Manufacturers warn of this and the reason why they bin modules for slight variations in Latency.
Even RAM kits with exactly the same specs can mismatch.

Get yourself a single kit the size you need (2x16) for 32Gb at a frequency your MB and CPU support that are listed on the MB QVL.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not your ram, nor the mobo. It's the cpu. AMD uses Fclock, Mclock and Uclock for transmission and memory speeds/allocation when dealing with seperate chips inside the cpu. It vastly prefers dual channel, using even numbered Cas timing, with only 2 sticks. Basically A2/B2 slots are unlimited speeds, but A1/B1 run a reduced rate speed, defaulting to 2133MHz. The memory controller gets unstable when both channels are used in dual channel, it has a hard time sorting clock frequency at higher speeds.

Ram Rank is different to Channel, Rank is how the chips are sorted on the ram itself, Channel is a motherboard function involving the cpu.

Most Zen+/Zen2 cpus can deal with 2933MHz using 4 sticks, if tinkered with, using bios to set timings, voltages etc manually, many now (say thank you Agesa) can also reach 3200MHz, with 4 sticks, Single Rank, dual channel.

Provided all 4 sticks came in a single kit. By mixing kits, all bets are off, there's no guarantee of anything. It'll either work, work with adjustments or not work at all. Identical kits are not identical. Just the paint job is. The chips that make up the ram are different, different silicon sheets, and not factory tested to work together. Only a single kit is tested for compliance with all the sticks in that kit.

You shouldn't need to adjust Primary timings, but you may need a hair more voltage to dram or SoC, or you may need to adjust some of the 40+ Secondary and/or Tertiary timings.

Feb 18, 2022
Ok, update time.
After reading all of the answers I decided to go through a process of most simple to most time consuming, starting with taking the readings with Tiphoon and Zentimings, this readings were made with all four RAM sticks, both new and old. If your're still interested you chan check them over here.

So, after that, as suggested by Koekieezz , updated my BIOS, which happened to be out of date.
When the update finished, I went and followed SkyNetRising advice and gradually increased the freq. of the sticks inside the BIOS.
That did the trick haha, a simple BIOS update and a little bit of patience figuring out the max speed I could rum my memory at.

After tinkering with all that stuff I managed to run my memory at a better-than-before and actually respectable (considering the situation) 3400 Mhz.

Thanks to everyone who answered and tried to help me with this problem, I learned a lot and let's hope that anybody who has this problem in the future finds this and gets to solve it smoothly.

Ok, update time.
After reading all of the answers I decided to go through a process of most simple to most time consuming, starting with taking the readings with Tiphoon and Zentimings, this readings were made with all four RAM sticks, both new and old. If your're still interested you chan check them over here.

So, after that, as suggested by Koekieezz , updated my BIOS, which happened to be out of date.
When the update finished, I went and followed SkyNetRising advice and gradually increased the freq. of the sticks inside the BIOS.
That did the trick haha, a simple BIOS update and a little bit of patience figuring out the max speed I could rum my memory at.

After tinkering with all that stuff I managed to run my memory at a better-than-before and actually respectable (considering the situation) 3400 Mhz.

Thanks to everyone who answered and tried to help me with this problem, I learned a lot and let's hope that anybody who has this problem in the future finds this and gets to solve it smoothly.
So now you could run 3600 on all 4 slots? also here is a timing's from a samsung C die on 3600mhz, well it's on 2x8gb, you could ignore any values from tRDRDSC to tCKE, better try it self 1 per 1. a samsung B die could do this timing good at 3600 with no voltage increased from xmp profile.

Also yes, do 2T as it is better in terms of latency and stability compared to 1T GDM. also try to disable power down mode manually.