[SOLVED] Document Scanner Purchase Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrcreosote

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2016
JOB: Archiving w/OCR Small Project

Need to purchase something low cost for home and closing down a small research project.

Editorial reviews are useless since they are all over the place for identical models - only way to choose other than "roll the dice" is to get some advice on real world usage?

One major requirement is OCR performance: I'm getting the impression it's mostly dependent on the bundled software. You real a review that is great, they change the bundle, subsequent reviews are lack luster. A few years ago, Adobe Acrobat was usually included - now Nuance is typical. And as far as a used scanner, while I always buy used to save money, one without the software is hardly worth the price they bring.

Candidates are
  • Fujitsu ix500 $369 used w/software
  • Brother ADS-2700W $309
  • Epson ES-400 $249

Thanks in advance,
Tom

ALSO, are there any forums that specialize in scanning? I've looked for days and haven't found any.

Solution
I worked on a document project at a hospital, all the scanners were Fujitsus, don't remember the model but very similar or the same as the one you listed. Was pretty quick to scan things.

We used a combination of the stock Omnipage and Paperport software and I have not heard of any issues with those.

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about the quantitative meaning of "small research project" and the amount of scanning that needs to be done.

That said, consider a multi-function printer that includes scanning capabilities.

You may have more product choices (hardware & software) and, of course, you will have something more useful per se than a dedicated scanner just sitting about when the job is finished.

And wired connectivity is preferable in terms of performance and reliability. A multi-function printer could be connected via USB cable or placed on the wired network.

Just some thoughts on the matter....

I worked on a document project at a hospital, all the scanners were Fujitsus, don't remember the model but very similar or the same as the one you listed. Was pretty quick to scan things.

We used a combination of the stock Omnipage and Paperport software and I have not heard of any issues with those.

Solution
May 15, 2019
Fujitsus are widely regarded as the best document scanners and are priced accordingly. If the used Fujitsu is lightly used, it may be a good deal. I haven't personally used Fujitsus though. I've used Brothers, Epsons, and Canons. The biggest differentiator is the included software. I don't like Brother. Epson is OK. Canon is my favorite. We do a moderate amount of document scanning and like the Canon DR-C225 II for ~ $335. I haven't compared the OCR performance between them, but it's my understanding that the Canon is a strong performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.