Document transfer from and old hdd to a new one.

frontabl3

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
Hey guys, i am about to transfer all my data ( lawyer documents) that were on a pretty old pc running win 98 with a old version of the office pack ( not sure if 97 or 2000).
The question is when i transfer the data from to old hard drive to a new with win 10 and a newer office pack will the old documents automatically convert to the new type of just in case i should install a old office pack on the new pc so the documents wont be lost.

USAFRet

Titan

The docs will not automatically "convert".
But newer versions of Office should read them. There may be a few issues in formatting, but it should read them.

Make 2 copies of these docs, and try it on one set to begin with. Just in case.

USAFRet

Titan
I just did a test on some old docs.

A Word doc created 12/31/1999, a school paper from my stepson. I had never opened this before...it was just in a bunch of my wifes old files.
My current Word 2016 had zero issues opening it.

Now..if there are a lot of fancy formatting, you may have issues. But the basic text should still be there.

frontabl3

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017

I think that i will just download microsoft office pack 2000 install it and test if they will open. If they do so i will make a fast recovery disk and update to 2016. If 2016 office pack does not work i will just stick with 2000 and that will be all.

frontabl3

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
I just found a discussion on a microsoft page that said that tge microsoft office 2013 is compatible with the 97-2000 pack format .doc and it will be able to read my documents,so i just installed the office pack and will see the results tommorow.
But still will make backup driver in case.

TRENDING THREADS