dodgy modification

Bastet_5au

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Hi all, I'm trying to connect an optical mouse to a treadmill for an experiment on VR, can anyone help with tech know-how, it's for a Phd student and money is tight so any low cost shortcuts would help, Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What are you trying to do, use the mouse as a rotation reading device? I have BIG NEWS for you! Old fashioned ball mice use 2 optical sensors with 2 shutter wheels or whatever they call them. Therefore the parts are already there, you just need to attach them, so I recommend an old fashioned ball mouse.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Bastet_5au

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Thank you Crashman. I was looking at an old one yesterday and thought it might be the case. I was thinking of using a adapter and plugging it in to a USB port. Do you know what software modifications I need to make? Again thanks for the tip.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can probably find a USB ball mouse and modify the software to read the number of movements instead of having it move the pointer, I don't know software that well.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>