Does 1080 8GB SLI can work with my Chieftec GPS 700W a8

ipurple

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Hi,

So this is the problem. I have a good ASUS PC, but won an extra GPU. I checked my motherboard and PSU voltage if I will manage it and it seems that I do. However, what I did not check was what cables will I need and if my new GPU can connect with my PSU. So I ask for your help to solve this. I wish that I wouldn't need to spend any more money on this, but I can afford some cables. Please do not tell me I need new PSU. Here is my specs:

CPU - i7-7700k
GPU1 - ASUS STRIX NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 8GB
GPU2 - ASUS STRIX NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 8GB (waiting to be connected)
PSU - Chieftec GPS 700W a8
Motherboard - ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 2

I also have some pictures of everything. I am just sad noob with opened PC box and brand new 1080.

Solution
A closer look on the inside of this unit quickly shows why Chieftec only charges 75 Euro for this power supply. There is a very sparsely populated PCB and the capacitors used for example are all from China. Therefore this PSU is definitely an entry level product and its not meant to be put into powerful builds. The GPS-700A8 makes for example sense in cost optimized systems and especially assemblers might want to have a look at this unit. Something we've been mentioning in every review on Chieftec power supplies is the fact that the company only provides two years warranty. We would love to see a bolder reliability statement from Chieftec and therefore providing longer warranty...

ipurple

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
PSU should work. But my problem is connecting GPU with PSU. I see no cables coming from PSU that could connect to the second GPU. And they gave only a short 6 - 6 - 8 cable.

Here is how it is, my PSU offers such delivery:

Cable
1 x ATX 20+4 pin
1 x EPS/ATX 12V 8 & 4+4 pin
2 x PCI-E 6+2 pin
2 x 3 SATA
1 x 2 Molex / 1 x Floppy

And my GPU needs 6 and 8 pin connector. Take note, that this I need dual GPU set up.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

You need a new PSU to run 2 of those what you have is low quality.

ipurple

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017

Thanks. I will search for some options

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
A closer look on the inside of this unit quickly shows why Chieftec only charges 75 Euro for this power supply. There is a very sparsely populated PCB and the capacitors used for example are all from China. Therefore this PSU is definitely an entry level product and its not meant to be put into powerful builds. The GPS-700A8 makes for example sense in cost optimized systems and especially assemblers might want to have a look at this unit. Something we've been mentioning in every review on Chieftec power supplies is the fact that the company only provides two years warranty. We would love to see a bolder reliability statement from Chieftec and therefore providing longer warranty.
https://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1509&page=4

Solution

ipurple

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Shall I go with this Corsair RM750x or must I invest in Corsair RMx Series RM1000x?

As small my research into PSU is, I guess these ones won't dissappoint and they can be delivered pretty fast for me