[SOLVED] Does 12 year old pc support windows 10? What do you think?

Dec 31, 2020
Hey guys. I have an old PC, running an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66 GHz) and I was asking myself either I want to upgtrade to windows 10 or not. Because I have experienced a problem that after installing windows 10, reboot it, and it was stuck at startup repair. And that time I'm running windows 10 32 bit but has 4 gb of RAM. But I have not yet try to install Windows 10 64 bit. So, do you think it's worth to upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit? BTW next month I will be upgrading my cpu to Core 2 Quad Q6600 cause of only that core 2 quad that supported by my chipset. (Nvidia nforce 620i).

My PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E6750 (2.66 GHz)
MOBO: Acer MCP73VE (come from Acer Aspire M1641)
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GT 240 ( will be upgrading to GT 710, maybe)
Storage: x1 Hitachi 160 GB Hdd 7200RPM
x1 Hitachi 160 Gb Hdd (2.5 inch come from my old laptop)
RAM: 4GB (x2 2GB)
Chipset: Nvidia Geforce 7050/620i
PSU: AVF 500w PSU

Solution
a q6600 will run win 10 no problem. if you have a boot loop problem it is not caused by the system itself. the current core 2 duo is not the problem, try a fresh made installer of 64 bit win 10 and see if that fixes any issues.

i've had win 10 on even older and weaker hardware and though it may run slow, it still runs. do check to be sure you can get win 10 drivers though for the hardware. igp has been the worst for not getting win 10 support but most everything else i've found drivers for.
Most of these old motherboards don't support more than 4GB RAM, so you'll gain nothing in performance by upgrading to 64-bit OS (whether Wiindows 7 or 10). It might be also easier to get 32-bit drivers.

However, a lot of apps are no longer updated for 32-bit Windows, so plan your moves carefully.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a q6600 will run win 10 no problem. if you have a boot loop problem it is not caused by the system itself. the current core 2 duo is not the problem, try a fresh made installer of 64 bit win 10 and see if that fixes any issues.

i've had win 10 on even older and weaker hardware and though it may run slow, it still runs. do check to be sure you can get win 10 drivers though for the hardware. igp has been the worst for not getting win 10 support but most everything else i've found drivers for.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS