Question Does 1440p monitor has any significant advantage over 1080p for gaming and live streaming?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Hi, I'm trying to decide between 1080p and 1440p Montor to buy for gaming and streaming on online streaming platforms like twitch , YouTube etc. Does 1440p monitor have any significant advantage over 1080p for gaming and live streaming? If it helps, I play/stream mostly league of legends and mmos like black desert online, lost ark etc. All those esport tournaments of leagoue of legends mostly happen on 1440p or 1080p monitor? Most game streamers/ esport professionals play games on 1080p or 1440p monitor? I sit very close to my PC and my eyesight is pretty good. What is the current esport norm - 1080p or 1440p monitor?

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
From a purely visual standpoint, it would be according to how close you are to the monitor and how good your eyesight it.

From a hardware standpoint 1080 is easier to run than 1440 and thus can use "weaker" components to achieve. 1080P is still a very smart choice in that it looks good and can be done with what many would consider lower end components and thus less $.

Reactions: eziowar

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
From a purely visual standpoint, it would be according to how close you are to the monitor and how good your eyesight it.

From a hardware standpoint 1080 is easier to run than 1440 and thus can use "weaker" components to achieve. 1080P is still a very smart choice in that it looks good and can be done with what many would consider lower end components and thus less $.
I sit very close to my PC and my eyesight is pretty good. What is the current esport norm - 1080p or 1440p?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I sit very close to my PC and my eyesight is pretty good.

With that aspect said, and I am sure you have experienced it. The pixels for increasing resolution get smaller for screen space, and thus how they achieve the 'sharper' resolution. If you are sitting close to a 1080 monitor and your eyesight is good enough to see the "jagged edges" (as it were) of those pixels, then you could benefit from having a higher resolution. Other aspects that (can be) plusses include more desktop space on the screen at the cost of smaller fonts and such, zoom disregarded.
In my own case I went from a 1080 to 1440 because it allowed me to run a split screen for work on the same screen at 1440 as I was running with two screens at 1080. It allowed me the additional desk space to bring my PC case up on the desk and save it from the increased dust gathering where it was closer to the floor. Not to mention the selection of a case that has glass sides and I can actually see inside it easily. I know it isn't what you are asking about but thought it worth mentioning.

Reactions: eziowar
You can get either one. My main monitor is a 1440p 27 inch. I did previously have a 27 inch 1080p. The hardware to run 1440p will cost a bit more, ie you need a better graphics card. That being said from a visual standpoint I think 1440p is a great visual upgrade. In other words you’ll see more detail and more clarity. For example I sometimes play world of warships. I like that I can zoom in on the battleship and look in the cannon and see the rifling in the barrel. So from that perspective I don’t want to go back to 1080p. But as I said you’ll need to spend a little more to get hardware such as the graphics card you’ll spend a little more.