[SOLVED] does 144Hz monitor decreasing my FPS?

komando626

Honorable
May 2, 2016
Hi!
so recently i just bought my self a 144hz monitor which is Viewsonic XG2401, and then a saw a performance decrease in FPS
Before i use this XG2401 monitor i was using Sony Bravia 24" tv + samsung 19" monitor and i can play R6 siege with max setting in around 90+ FPS and CSGO with max setting around 260+ FPS
after i use this XG2401 + sony 24" tv i only achive 100 FPS on lowest setting
then i remove the sony 24" tv and it only increase the FPS to 120+ on the lowest setting for R6 Siege, and 250 FPS on the lowest setting on CSGO

So can anyone help me figure out what happen? is the monitor the source of the problem?

my spec:
Asrock x370 Gaming K4
R5 1600 @3.7Ghz (watercooled)
G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2666Mhz
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0
Adata SX8200 Pro 256GB
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Thanks!

Update:
so i found a little clue,
my monitor set to 144hz, and then i find out that there is a setting option for refresh rate in R6 Siege so i set it to 120Hz and the FPS increase up to 150FPS, but when i set it to 144hz the fps is decrease back to 120ish or lower

Last edited:
Solution
Think you went about this the wrong way. We know refresh rate alone doesn't impact fps, not simply by Hz anyway. What can happen though, depending on settings/temps/background apps, the cpu could be struggling to maintain an fps level.

Faster ram can help, especially 3000+ and in dual channel. Helping the cpu get through more fps pre-rendering for the gpu. Cpu sets the fps amount as it ships prepared frames to the gpu. The gpu determines what resolution/details it can render them at. So the cpu may struggle to live up to a stronger video card or satisfy a weaker card.

Though id imagine your cpu is more than capable of driving a 1070.

Imo, start with upgrading to faster ram. What's that 16GB made of? 1x16 or 2x8? If former, missing...

komando626

Honorable
May 2, 2016
Refresh rate alone doesn't affect fps, what can happen though is; Check gpu processor & memory clocks, voltage and temps. Setting 144Hz can elevate these and could be throttling due to heat.

yes sir, i've tried your advice and the result is everything just fine, no thermal throttling
the gpu temp sit on 45c while i play R6 Siege with the 144hz setting

The only thing I can imagine coming into play is Vsync. By default, the GPU is going to render frames as fast as it can, and really doesn't care about the displays refresh window. With Vsync, the GPU is going to try and sync with the display, so I could see performance changing with Vsync enabled if the monitors refresh rate changes. Otherwise, at the same resolution, I would expect the same performance; the GPU really wouldn't care what is connected at the other end.

EDIT

Its possible the driver for the specific display could be affecting things, but I doubt it.

komando626

Honorable
May 2, 2016
There's no evidence of fps dropping because of refresh rate. If there was, it would have shown in Firestrike.

Perhaps look toward issue specifically for the games in question, possibly a bug or something.

The only thing I can imagine coming into play is Vsync. By default, the GPU is going to render frames as fast as it can, and really doesn't care about the displays refresh window. With Vsync, the GPU is going to try and sync with the display, so I could see performance changing with Vsync enabled if the monitors refresh rate changes. Otherwise, at the same resolution, I would expect the same performance; the GPU really wouldn't care what is connected at the other end.

EDIT

Its possible the driver for the specific display could be affecting things, but I doubt it.

the problem is, the issue not only in the R6 Siege or CSGO but also GTA Online, i can't even reach 100+ FPS on lowest preset
maybe is it because i bought used GPU ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Think you went about this the wrong way. We know refresh rate alone doesn't impact fps, not simply by Hz anyway. What can happen though, depending on settings/temps/background apps, the cpu could be struggling to maintain an fps level.

Faster ram can help, especially 3000+ and in dual channel. Helping the cpu get through more fps pre-rendering for the gpu. Cpu sets the fps amount as it ships prepared frames to the gpu. The gpu determines what resolution/details it can render them at. So the cpu may struggle to live up to a stronger video card or satisfy a weaker card.

Imo, start with upgrading to faster ram. What's that 16GB made of? 1x16 or 2x8? If former, missing out on dual channel speeds.

Check cpu temps making sure cpu isn't throttling.

What do you have Windows power plans set to? Try balanced (either Windows or Ryzen) and set a minimum processor state of 10%.

Reactions: komando626
Solution

komando626

Honorable
May 2, 2016

Imo, start with upgrading to faster ram. What's that 16GB made of? 1x16 or 2x8? If former, missing out on dual channel speeds.

Check cpu temps making sure cpu isn't throttling.

What do you have Windows power plans set to? Try balanced (either Windows or Ryzen) and set a minimum processor state of 10%.

i know that Hz won't affect fps but it just weird since i got the 144hz monitor the fps going down

so i just OC my CPU @3.85Ghz and RAM @2993Mhz
and it is G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 2666Mhz

my windows power plan set to balance already

here is the result for 3D Fire Strike after i OC the CPU and RAM

Edit:
as i mention before, temp just stay in 43-45C sometime going 55C after 8 hours + of using