does 30 mhz extra on a gpu really make a difference

bzand7

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
was wondering if going through the hassle to squeeze that extra 30mhz on my overclock is really worth it, ive got my gpu core clock to 2038mhz on my 1070ti but as soon as it hits 60degrees it drops to 2025mhz then down to 2012mhz once it hits 65-66degress, is it really worth the hassle with loud fans and trying to fix it with fan curve (which hasnt really helped cool it to what it seems like it needs to be) etc or would water cooling help keep it at a constant 2038mhz? sorta new to all this overclocking so still trying to get a grasp of it all, thanks in advanced

Solution

brandubbs

Commendable
Sep 24, 2017
It might even be your card that is the issue. With my 1070 if I try overclock anything above 50+ memory and like 20+ boost clock I get memory error and resets my OC..

I'd say it's not worth it. Nvidias gpu boost will level the speed down once it gets hotter anyway. With higher speed you'll hit the power limit quicker which will cause the clockspeeds to drop down to ground and will cause a half second freezes in your games.
Have you overclocked your cards memory? The 1070 ti is pretty heavily crippled in memory speed so overclocking it will help a lot.

bzand7

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

yeah i was able to overclock it to +400 havent really tried it any further but its currently at 4404mhz, do you think that extra 26mhz on my core clock would make that much of a difference to fuss over or is it not really a significant amount? also with overclocking the memory would i help quite abit with gaming perfomance trying to squeeze out every last bit i can get and do you think 4404mhz is quite a decent amount for my memory overclock? thanks for the post :)

bzand7

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

yeah im still pretty new to this so trying to get a grasp of everything :/ ive got +150 on my core clock but when i play crysis 3 it does the 2038mhz and goes do like in the description but when i do a heaven benchmark it says its at 2050mhz on heaven itself and on msi afterburner also so i have no idea why its at 2050mhz on heaven but 2038 then downwards on crysis, maybe i need to try out a few more games and see what happens, thanks for the post aswell :)

400MHz is pretty damn nice if it's not crashing or artifacting.
26MHz isn't really noticeable but if it's stable and not hitting the power limit then why not.

Solution