[SOLVED] Does 4-Pin Female PicoBlade 1.25mm to Male PWM Fan 4-pin exist?

Robert_407

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
Perhaps my google-foo is poor, but there does not seem to be any aftermarket pre-made cable options for Intel/ASRock NUC's 5v PWM Fan connector (1.25mm pitch). Is this a "build your own cable" problem, or am I searching for the wrong keywords?

I got the Micro PH 2.0 4-pin (GPU fan plug) but that was too large, and it turns out I need the 1.25mm Pitch (PicoBlade) size.

Context: I am attempting to install a Noctua (5v) SF-A6x25 on aftermarket heatsink in a NUC, and want BIOS controlled PWM, so I need to step down the fans 4-pin PWM to a 1.25mm pitch socket on nuc board.

Solution
Well, the wire colours on that Delta fan available from Amazon in your link are the same as the standard ones for 4-pin fans. I gather you have the old fan that has failed, with that connector and wiring on it. Your simplest path is to cut the wires off the old fan, keeping enough wire with the connector to allow the next step. On the new Noctua unit, carefully strip off some of the external sleeving on its provided cable and verify that the same four wire colours are inside. It is HIGHLY likely that the two fan makers have used the SAME colours for the same functions. So you can remove the standard connector on the end of the Noctua's cable that will not fit onto your mobo header, and solder onto the Nocuta's wires the wires and...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I see that Noctua sells BOTH a 3-pin (Voltage Controlled Mode) AND a 4-pin (PWM style) version of thos 60 mm fan. OP, I hope you have the PWM version for what you propose. I note also that Noctua points out that many 5 VDC fan systems use non-standard connectors and/or headers, and try to help buy including a spare connector that might work with a bit of custom re-wiring.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, the wire colours on that Delta fan available from Amazon in your link are the same as the standard ones for 4-pin fans. I gather you have the old fan that has failed, with that connector and wiring on it. Your simplest path is to cut the wires off the old fan, keeping enough wire with the connector to allow the next step. On the new Noctua unit, carefully strip off some of the external sleeving on its provided cable and verify that the same four wire colours are inside. It is HIGHLY likely that the two fan makers have used the SAME colours for the same functions. So you can remove the standard connector on the end of the Noctua's cable that will not fit onto your mobo header, and solder onto the Nocuta's wires the wires and connector from the old fan. Simply be sure to MATCH the colours. Tape up the splices. That's your custom wiring job.

Solution