Pizza PowerXYZ

Commendable
Apr 28, 2019
I've been searching online for hours and cant find anything

My motherboard is a msi x470 gaming plus and uses 568a ethernet
And the cat7 cable I want uses 568b

I keep on seeing that "if the cable is above 1gb you dont need a crossover cable"
I also heard that any cable over 1gb uses all wires
So I'm assuming crossover isn't needed
Is this true?
The cable I want is a cat 7 60ft cable
I know that ethernet (568a) uses wire 3+4 for receiving
But 568b changes that
Will it cause any damage because i heard that modern boards
automatically detect if it is 568a or 568b and correct it

I just want to know if there will be any problems with the computer and if it will work
I want to play my games with low ping with high download speeds

Solution
I seriously doubt you have any need for anything more than cat5e if you do not know the basics. You do not even need cat7. The standard was not fully finalized and now it looks dead since there is a new one being worked on for 100gbps.

If you are using 10gbit ports you want to use cat6a.

Pretty much there is no need for any form of crossover cable anymore. You want to make both ends 468a or 468b. The electronic will perform the crossover for you.

Now at 100mbps it does use say 1,2 to transmit and 3.4 to receive but since they are swapped between the machine it all works.

At 1gbit it transmits and receives on all 4 pair at the same time. Almost magic when you consider how stupid 100mbps ports are with their physical...
I seriously doubt you have any need for anything more than cat5e if you do not know the basics. You do not even need cat7. The standard was not fully finalized and now it looks dead since there is a new one being worked on for 100gbps.

If you are using 10gbit ports you want to use cat6a.

Pretty much there is no need for any form of crossover cable anymore. You want to make both ends 468a or 468b. The electronic will perform the crossover for you.

Now at 100mbps it does use say 1,2 to transmit and 3.4 to receive but since they are swapped between the machine it all works.

At 1gbit it transmits and receives on all 4 pair at the same time. Almost magic when you consider how stupid 100mbps ports are with their physical different wires. There are massive technical documents on how they accomplish this but in the end both end can transmit and receive on all the wires at the same time.

10gbit works pretty much the same as 1gbit it just uses a more dense data encoding protocol and higher clock rate.

Still the more I read you post I suspect you are buying into the marketing scam that higher number cable runs faster. If you were to plug a cat7 cable into a gbit port it will run exactly the same speed as if you used cat5e. The port controls the speed not the cable. Almost everyone reading these forums only need cat5e. The real techie users using 10g ports generally know everything I posted above.

The ping time is not impacted in any way by the cable...unless you get a bad one and you get packet loss. The download speed is likely limited by you ISP. Even if you did something like get a router that has 10g ports and a pc that has 10g ports and used a cat6a cable I seriously doubt you have a ISP service that goes faster than 1gbit.

I would just buy premade straight through cables. It is too difficult for a beginner to make good cable with out making many bad ones in the process of learning. The key on ethernet cable is not to get fake cable. You want pure copper cable with wire size 22-24. No CCA and no flat or thin wires.

Solution

Pizza PowerXYZ

Commendable
Apr 28, 2019
Ty,

I know I sound like an idiot and it's because the last thing I think before my PC build is finished is about cables
(Not internal cables that's like the 2nd thing I think of)
I'm at a weird part of the learning curve ok

I know that the higher the cable doesnt really matter so idk why I thought that cat 7 was good
And I understand about round vs flat cables
Flat is worse
I know that they are both rj45 connectors but can it damage it an anyway?
I wont be getting cat 7,
This is the cable I assume to be getting
Please tell me if it is good
https://www.amazon.com/InstallerPar...Cat+7+22awg&qid=1557583269&s=electronics&sr=1

Thank you for the knowledge in advance

Last edited:
That Amazon cable should do it then.

Now if this thing doesn't immediately work the way you expect, another thing people ignore is, a typical user SHARES internet bandwidth with the rest of the household, and what they do affects you, but that's another variable.