Question Does 6700k bottleneck 2080super in 2k?

coretake

Reputable
Oct 11, 2016
I'm running 6700k with 2080super gaming oc for gaming in 2k monitor 144hz. Does my Processor bottle neck my GPU in games which usages extensive processor?

coretake

Reputable
Oct 11, 2016
Test in game, and find out. No one's going to know better than you.

Behavior won't be identical across all your games, that's why you gather multiple samples.
Monitor cpu usage(each core/thread).
Monitor ram usage.
Monitor gpu usage.
I have done that already found some problems in assassins creed odessy, nfs heat. In assassins creed odessy gameplay was normal but in benchmark it was using 100% cpu and gpu going down to 70%. But in nfs heat gpu usage is 95-99% with 68-84fps but having sudden lag or hiccup which i don't find in any games. I don't do overclocking my processor, should i do that for better performance.? Or how much it should solve my problem does anyone know?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Benchmarks aren't always indicative of actual in game performance.
You say gameplay is fine in AC: O, but the in game benchmark creates a cpu limitation... ehh, wouldn't worry about it.

NFS: Heat? It could be the game engine... further testing may be needed.

Overclocking is more of a hobby than anything else. It may help, or it may not be a significant enough boost to do anything meaningful. Aftermarket cooling is a must.
I, couldn't give you a concrete answer on it. Maybe a few %.

coretake

Reputable
Oct 11, 2016
I know this how much you can gain from overclocking gpu. I have done that for a long time(from 2013). But for CPU more preciously 6700k i don't know for sure. Though i saw
View: https://youtu.be/LCV9yyD8X6M?t=869
on the other day and also seen some other reference for overclocking. But i really need a solution with NFS HEAT. Or at least the confirmation of same problem happening with others too. Because i have bought 2080super recently and don't fully understanding that my processor is bottlenecking me or not despite of many kind of testing. I will be thankful if someone with same spec can share his experience with me.

Last edited:
You are certainly wrong, i ran a gtx 1070 before rtx 2080 super and i found 4xxx series inter processor is bottlenecking my GPU so i have to change my processor and found 15-20 fps more on average.

thats is not bottleneck, now assuming whatever processor you have right now doesn't bottleneck, then if you upgraded it to a new gen, you wouldn't get yet more frames, how come? everything on a PC bottlenecks, in fact, we need a GPU because every CPU bottlenecks, else we'd get unlimited frames and would not need a GPU and the CPU could do it's job.

bottlenecks only exist if there are stuttering, massive FPS drops thats not engine related or constant extremely low FPS all the wich merely indicates your processor is well bellow min requirements and therefore the problem is not even bottleneck, is obsolete equipment, if you can run everyting above 50fps - 60fps, wich you can with a 4th gen + 2080, theres no bottleneck, you just have the performance you paid for.

that said, unless you can cap your FPS with X processor and cant get anymore frames with a new one even if its 500% faster, this whole bottleneck absurdity is just creating needless fear on uses and yet another urban legend, like that one from 2 decades ago wich said that videogames would fry your tv.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Games & engines results vary as said already. Stressing the cpu too much will depend on game and targeted frame rates. In many games, the 6700k should be decent enough, better if overclocked.

Trouble is, if aiming for too high fps in cpu intensive games if cpu isn't capable enough. Cpu needs to prepare frames, so be aware, frame caps or increased details to lower fps to reduce cpu usage may be required in some games. How to determine this is monitor cpu usage while playing with Afterburner.

To help a lacking cpu gain an edge; don't run too much background crap on the primary core. Ie, web browser, Geforce Experience, Discord, Cortana, Game bar etc Any program you must run whilst playing, move the process to the least busiest core/thread using affinity. The primary core affects efficiency across the entire processor.

1440p is a nice resolution for the gpu in question. The cpu may still struggle to deliver high frame rates without high usage stutters in some games but won't be as demanding as pre-rendering frames for 1080p.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and RodroX
In 1080p probably but in 2k?

even less as higher resolutions are more GPU bound than CPU, assuming a 3770k meets min requirements to run games, you can pair it with a 2080 TI XXX JOHN CENA EDITION and it would still not bottleneck, its not an harmonious pair, sure, but will stil get 60 fps on heavy games, so its fine, ofc a 9900k will get more FPS, simply because its better, bottlenecking is implying a problem, and one CPU being slower than others is not.

see, by the bottleneckers logic even the 9900k bottlenecks then, because you can get more frames with the next gen CPU even if its 2-3, and so on.

Reactions: toniplavna
I'm running 6700k with 2080super gaming oc for gaming in 2k monitor 144hz. Does my Processor bottle neck my GPU in games which usages extensive processor?

Hi, the main thing from all I been reading here as that OP is looking at AVG FPS, which is not bad, but it does not tell the whole story. A more important number is the 1% low and .1% low FPS. In simple terms, those two represent how smooth your game play is, and how often will you face those hicups/stuttering/frame drops. The good thing about the i7 6700K is that it has HT enable so that brings extra 4 logical threads into the "performance" equation of the 4 physical cores the cpu have.

Now, from what you explained, you are not seeing a lot of hicups on games for now, but I will bet very hard on the fact that your actual CPU is limiting the performance of your GPU in most if not all games, some worst than the others and yes, even if you play at 2K. The question is, Are you happy enough with the performance, or not?

Some games will have more issues than others. Thats how it is to every CPU and GPU combo you can put togheter. Theres no magical recipe, every game engine is a wolrd of its own, and the effort developers put on it will make the diference on how well it plays on diferent hardware.

coretake

Reputable
Oct 11, 2016
Thank you guys for your concern and i'm very happy that you guys came up with your perspectives. Everyone of you trying to help.

But i'm not saying most of the games are bottleneck, I'm just saying some of the games like Odessy and NFS HEAT which Odessy may be bottlenecking but NFS HEAT have some game mechanic problem as i figure it out by just lower settings of POST PROCESSING in games. Game is running great. But Odessy is a cpu hungry game. It may or may not problem is some places.

There are some confusions and questions running around i see. I'm clearing it now
1. If you use MSI Afternurner well then you will know they have a lot of things you can demonstrate in there.
like GPU clockspeed, memory clock, gpu usage, memory usage ,fan speed, temp etc
CPU clockspeed, individual cpu usage, their temp, Ram usage etc.

What you can do with that is this, you can find the ratio of CPU and GPU usage cumulatively and you can see CPU usage may be 100% and gpu usage 68-80%. So that's how you will understand your processor is bottlebecking your GPU.

2. Guys who own 2600k and 3700k let me ensure this your processor will definitely bottleneck if you are playing things in 1080p with even in gtx 1070 it will bottleneck, you may see something like cpu usage is 99-100% but gpu usage may be like 89-92%, mostly 10%-15% usage lost. which will generate 15-30fps according to game.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu usage for me in Ghost Recon WL, Farcry5/ND, pretty cpu/gpu intensive games run at 95% gpu in 1440p (1080Ti), cpu (2600k @ 4.5) between 80~95%. It's not always just about usage though, it's the throughput (IPC) within that usage. Overclocking the 2600k / 3770K helps, but vs 6700k in terms of IPC, there isn't a whole lot different. If there's going to be high usage levels in 1080p, all i7 cpu's prior to 7700k/ 8700k would show similar usage levels.

Last edited: