[SOLVED] Does 8GB RAM actually hold you back?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Every comparison video I've looked up either has the 16 gb on dual channel vs 8gb on single channel. Or they don't mention if both are on same number of channels at all.

Like most people, I'm interested to see whether the extra memory can actually make a noticeable difference if both run on single channel.

My question is "Does 8GB Memory actually hold you back while gaming?"

So, comparisons/experience like these are appreciated:

2×4gb vs 2×8gb
Or,
1×8gb vs 1×16gb

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, and Yes. When it comes to gaming anyway.

Having only 8GB is not enough for some recent titles, and particularly if you wanted to multitask at all. Like also have discord, and maybe a browser open at the same time.

Single channel memory drastically reduces the bandwidth available to the CPU. You can see as much as 20% reduction in FPS in some games, which should be all over Youtube.

16GB is good, there are a few games that can exceed that, particularly modded titles.

1x16GB isn't super common yet, kind of have to go out of your way to see that happen. OEMs are still dumping 4GB and 8GB sticks (You do see a lot of 12GB systems)

Still, going to have the same bandwidth problem.
Turned pointer precision to the lowest value. Mouse pointer won't move 1 inch even if i move the mouse a whole feet lol. Looks like it was something related to sensitivity, not acceleration.
Btw, what is that fire speed slider?

Im guessing the fire speed is a macro allowing you to basically cheat in fps games and allowing you shoot a gun faster than the game intends it to be shot.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It seems a little weird to worry about whether your RAM is in single or dual channel while ignoring components -- including the fan that cools your CPU and parts of the motherboard -- caked in enough dust and dirt that I wonder if you accidentally posted a photo from an archaeology dig site. You should apologize not to us but to the parts you're slowly destroying through negligence.

Reactions: Ziadul87